What are you most embarrassed about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MBH, TOOO FUNNY! That reminds me...I hadn't been diving very long, maybe a year. I was with my instructor and some students on a check-out dive at the quarry in the summer. I don't remember the exact reason why the instructor and I were in the water in just our wetsuits or why I pulled the top of mine down. Anyway I was wearing a bikini that just clasped in the back, no neck strap. My instructor was talking to me and when she turned to look at me her eyes got really big and she said, "Your hooters are hanging." I'm not sure how long my top had been down or who all saw it but at the moment it was mortifying. I got over the "naked in public" issue years ago but you brought back some memories :rofl3:
Ber :lilbunny:

How is pissing yourself (in a DS) not embarrassing?

That would be, but that's not what happened. He had an equipment malfunction that sprayed him and the inside of his suit with urin - a big difference.

Geoff_H:
My instructor went nuts when I got back to the surface and provided a fair bit of impetus for me to improve on my diving.

This is the closest I've seen so far, but unless he's totally clueless it should be more embarrassing for him than for you.

dbulmer:
Walter,
Surely doing a giant stride in full gear in the shallow end of a swimming pool (Result: Broken leg) and admitting it on a GUE Fundamentals course should count ?

Not in my opinion. Anything that was truly embarrassing is something that caused severe emotional trauma and is painful to even remember, it's not something you'd share with the world.

Not in my opinion. Anything that was truly embarrassing is something that caused severe emotional trauma and is painful to even remember, it's not something you'd share with the world.

We're talking embarrassment here. Not humiliation. I think if you look back at this post in a couple of years, it might count as your most embarrassing moment.

Walter,
But I was emotionally wrecked :) And there were plenty of witnesses to remind me :)

We're talking embarrassment here. Not humiliation. I think if you look back at this post in a couple of years, it might count as your most embarrassing moment.

There's no difference. No Darlin', this is my opinion and I'm not the least bit embarrassed about expressing it. Even if I would somehow later become ashamed of something I posted on this board, it could not come close to being my most embarrassing moment.

There's no difference.

LOL. Just because your English education missed the CLEAR distinction doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sorry, humiliation does NOT equal embarassment. Try again. If you need a link to an online dictionary, just let us know. :shakehead:

LOL. Just because your English education missed the CLEAR distinction doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Sorry, humiliation does NOT equal embarassment. Try again. If you need a link to an online dictionary, just let us know. :shakehead:

Well, my trusty American Heritage, in BOOK form, defines embarrass as "To cause to feel self-conscious or ill at ease, disconcert."

Humiliate is defined: "To lower the pride, dignity, or self-respect of." A synonym is "degrade."

I hardly think they are interchangeable, except, maybe, for drama queens or kings.

Walter,

You are not the final word on what OTHER people find to be embarrassing.

Any of these incidents may be VERY embarrassing to the person to whom it occured.

Try to behave, Walter. :wink:

I've had a few embarrassing moments, but I guess no down and out Walter-esque humiliations.

I've showed up at dive sites without equipment a few times - fins, batteries, and the like. The highlight was meeting a bunch of buddies for a March dive in Michigan. We're standing around with suitable chest-thumping about how hard core we all are with snow falling and ice on the edge of the lake. So I start setting up my gear, and then find out that I'd forgotten my drysuit. There was just no way to talk my way out of that one.

The worst episode was putting on my wing backwards. I never figured it out until I was actually in the water. While I was on the boat setting up my gear I kept wondering why the inflator hose seemed so short and why the lp hose didn't run right, but I just shrugged it off. It wasn't until I was in the water and couldn't find the rear dump valve on the wing that I finally figured out what I had done. I still cringe when I think of that dive.

Ok I got two for you,

My uncle (years ago btw) was convinced by his instructor and other dive students to eat lots of beens and other gassy food the night before his OW checkout at Catalina while wearing a dry suit. No one would unzip him after the dive.

Me on a boat dive do a deck change into my wetsuit (you know naked under a towel while wrestling an O'neill J-suit on) and have a passerbys bag snag my towel and leave with it while my suit is around my thighs. If anyone knows these wet suits the hardest part about getting them on is going past the hips because it gets really thick there, the suit not the hips. Needless to say it was a very co-ed boat that day. I now wear speedos under my suit so i can drop towel and not worry if the boys are hanging out or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom