What are you most embarrassed about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to have to go with the time I accidentally kinked my p-valve hose and had my condom catheter blow up like a water balloon and explode in my drysuit.

That is brilliant, best so far by a long way.

Mine is tame in comparison - early on in my diving life I got separated from my DM-led group in the Phillipines. I spotted them about 40 metres away (good viz!) so I swum over... the DM tried used some strange hand gestures, like trying to push me away. I didn't understand and followed him for a couple of minutes.

Finally he took his slate out, wrote something on it and drew a big arrow. He then flipped it around for me to see and it said

Code:
 ------------------------
|                        |    
| Your group is that way |
|   ---------------->    |
 ------------------------

actually to take this topic seriously, i was saying to another (female) diver the other day that i dont treat my hubby-buddy with the respect he is entitled to sometimes

a few months ago we basically had a domestic on the surface after a dive because a small equipment problem pvvvvvvd me off big time.

if it was any other buddy i would have handled it differently and with good grace but becasue it was hubby i was a ***** and he didnt deserve that

sometimes im a bad buddy-wife :shakehead:

I haven't done any really embarassing thing so far except for a belly-flopper entry now and then but I think that I have embarrassed some of the young ladies on board by going around in my Speedo's while going to and from the dive sights.That is if you can imagine what a half bald, pot-bellied, hairy-***'ed 68-year-old looks like. I really enjoy catching them looking now and then.

You are a cruel man. :no

Anything that is truly embarrassing won't get posted.

You got me thinking. In addition to the "your group is this way" malarky I remembered another thing at the same place in the Phillipines, much earlier.

This was on my Open Water course, on the second or third open water dive. I remember a backroll entry, then dumping the air from my BCD and sinking to the bottom (I must have been overweighted then, compared to how I dive now). Apparently - I didn't see - I descended straight onto a spectacular piece of hard coral and snapped it in two.

I didn't even see it or feel it at the time. My instructor went nuts when I got back to the surface and provided a fair bit of impetus for me to improve on my diving. I know this precisely agrees with what you and many others feel about the current state of PADI (et el) open water instruction.

When I think back, it is hard to disagree except think perhaps my instructor could have continued with us in a sandy bottom environment for a little longer. But the OW course doesn't lend itself to extended amounts of diving.....

Walter,
Surely doing a giant stride in full gear in the shallow end of a swimming pool (Result: Broken leg) and admitting it on a GUE Fundamentals course should count ?

About a month ago I was diving at my local quarry. I exited the water at one of the divers docks, and proceeded to walk over to one of the picnic tables to get out of my gear. I was wearing a one piece 5 mil with just my lucky Nike gym shorts underneath it. I got out of the BP/W, watch, bottom timer, compass, and booties all off. I unzipped the 5 mil, got the top half down to my waist. stripped the bottom half down to my ankles, and much to my suprise....my lucky gym shorts came right off wiith the bottom half of my 5 mil. And yes...when this happened EVERYBODY at this dive site happened to be looking my way.
Actually it wasn't too bad, after I got my shorts back on two women came over and stuffed a couple of dollar bills into my waistband.:D

Back
Top Bottom