What are you most embarrassed about?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having to buy a cumberbun extension for my BC. I swear it shrunk! (OK, I have gained some weight) :(

Dave (aka "Squirt")

While doing the tie-in yesterday on the wreck of the Arundo at 116 feet I managed to get the boat tied in to the wreck, and myself tied to the anchor line.

Oh, and there was the time I waded into the quarry during a rescue class with my drysuit zipper completely open.

I suppose it might be that I should have considered it embarrassing when I hiked all the way down the hill to the water at Blue Water in Pelham, AL, only to realize my fins were still hanging on the bench, but I just sighed and chuckled to myself and headed back up the steep stairs to go get them. (Someone offered to go get them for me, but I commented that as a solo diver, I should never have left without them, and the long trek back up and down should give me incentive to remember to remember in the future.) Other than that, I haven't had the pleasure of being truly embarrassed, although I have had a few dives where I was *quite* relieved that no SBers were there to see me. :biggrin:

If I may be so bold as to tell J.'s most embarrassing diving moment (since she's not a SBer)... it came on our first pool night. When we were packing up to leave, she realized she had misplaced her glasses. A search ensued, and we looked *everywhere* at the pool site... well, *almost* everywhere. Someone directed me over to where a rescue class was working, and when I got there, a nice DM walked over and asked if these glasses were hers. I looked, and indeed, they were (her glasses were missing one particular piece). Anyway, J. came over and claimed her glasses, thanking him for finding them. Then she asked where they had been...

"I picked them up from the bottom of the pool, right over there."

*That* was when J. suddenly became rather embarrassed. At the very beginning of our class, we had to jump in and swim a couple laps to show that we wouldn't drown when we hit the water. Apparently, J. had lined up in the lanes with the rest of us... and hit the water still wearing her glasses (which promptly settled to the bottom).

She left them in the car every pool session from that night on. :D

While on a dive charter some buddies decied to "help" me locate the source of a persistent but tiny leak in my drysuit. I had a bright blue White's at the time. They soaped the area of the leak and blew me up. The next thing I know is that they are all singing 'Oompa, Loompa, Oompity Doo' ! To this day I'm still occassionally called Violet Beauregarde. :D (Willy Wonka reference for the non-chocolate lovers.)

Paula

p.s. We did locate the leak. When I called White's they said they recently discovered a problem with the rubber zipper stopper and would fix it as soon as I sent the suit back. It was so minor I didn't do that for a few more months. & the suit never leaked again!

First giant stride entry ever... managed to "trip" on the water and land face first in the pool. Upon righting myself, the instructor managed to say, between giggles, "that is how NOT to do a giant stride."

--Shannon

Super small Private boat in Cayman Brac. Setting up for Deco, tied 4-80 Cft slings off a line in the water to retrieve after splashed in. Couldn't get in the gear on the boat due to space issues. Told my wife to inflate her bladder and toss it over and get dressed in the water. As she was getting dressed, I threw my gear over and it disappeared. I had forgotten to do what I just got on my wifes case about. Watched as my gear sank. Told my wife to go send up my gear but she was taking her time getting into her gear. Could only be mad at myself. It hit bottom at about 50' and just short of the wall. I was very lucky it didn't go over the side:lotsalove: When she sent it up, I put it on on the decent and grabbed my sling bottle and still got the dive in. The new dive site is now affectionately called Gear Drop Wall amongst our friends.

I'm feeling like a twit for getting myself into this one.

Pete

on sunday, cold water dive in Tassie, in drysuit and lots of weight couldnt get up the stupid boat ladder...had hubby pushing from the back and poeple pulling from the front.

at some point i was splayed over the side so half in and half out and not able to move any more.... then a total stranger grabs an ankle and hauls me in like a whale and a mid air flip had me sitting on the boat deck

but my tank/bpw ended up stuck on something so i wasnt able to move :shakehead:

otherwise the usual silly stuff... decending with snorkle in and reg out a few times

On successive dives on the same day, I jumped in with my wrist computer nice and safe and dry in my equipment bag, and then proceeded on the next dive to drop my tank from my BC as I was just about to jump in because I forgot to attach it tightly enough. I was clearly the problem child of the trip.

Back
Top Bottom