Wetsuit kneepad repair options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I picked up a Henderson two piece farmer john 5mm for a cheap price to dive colder stuff. The seller told me one of the kneepads was starting to come undone. I though no big deal I'll just glue it back on. When I got it I soaked it in diluted simple green to kick a little bit of funk I detected. After I dried it I noticed the kneepad had come more unattached, so I just pulled it off. I cleaned things up on the wetsuit and kneepad then used neoprene glue to glue it back on. I put it on both the wetsuit and the pad, let them tac up then put them together and let a weight keep them pressed on to cure. I went diving this last weekend and did 2 dives with the suit. after dive one the second kneedpad just fell off, and by the 2nd dive the freshly glued kneedpad is coming off! Damn I cant win.
IMG_9091.JPG
IMG_9092.JPG

Anyway non of this affects the functionality of the suit, and it is quite warm, but it looks a bit goofy with the flaky kneepad glue spots. What are my options for attaching a new pad of some sort? I love the kevlar pads on the deep 6 suits and something like that would be great but I don't know where to get it or how to attach since my neoprene glue did not work. Before I get "you don't need kneepads needed don't get on your knees or stop off the bottom", I need them on the surface when helping my daughter so I prefer to not tear up the unprotected suit.

Did ypu use AquaSeal or a different product?

Did ypu use AquaSeal or a different product?
No I used Problue Neoprene adhesive that I picked up at DGX or Phirana Dive MFG, cant remember which. I saw some threads on here discussing the merrits of Aquaseal used on wetsuits and many stated that it was not flexible and would create and issue.

No I used Problue Neoprene adhesive that I picked up at DGX or Phirana Dive MFG, cant remember which. I saw some threads on here discussing the merrits of Aquaseal used on wetsuits and many stated that it was not flexible and would create and issue.

Yes, now that you mention it, is kinda stiff. But DGX recommended it, or used to do, for their stick on pockets

I'm wondering. Potentially those knee pads are not going to reattach. Do you have any old wetsuits that you know longer use and never will? You could make some patches thst will work for your purposes and probably stay attached. If you know someone that sews, that person could bind the edges for you so they look better.

Yeah I am in doubt that I can get these kneepads to reattach via any bonding agent. I could try to round up some extra neoprene but thats gonna look like a ragged mess pretty quickly even if functionally it is fine. What I really want is to locate some kevlar I can cut to shape and adhere via stitching and some form of glue.

Back
Top Bottom