Attaching thigh pockets to my dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suricatasuricata

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey folks,
I have a BARE HDC Tech Dry Cave Edition trilam suit which I didn't add pockets to when I bought it. I have never used thigh pockets in tropical diving, mainly because the only important thing that I have carried is the SMB + Spool which I simply attached to my left D-Ring. I am taking a GUE fundies class in a month or so, I realize that a lot of the videos involve manipulating things out of your pocket, e.g. back up mask and then putting them on with one hand. I figure I want to get a feel for all this underwater.

I understand that a prevalent option for thigh pockets is simply to glue them on, such as these from DGX, I want to try to not commit to a position until a couple of dives so I am hesitant to go for a permanent glueing option. I really like these Halcyon weight pockets which look super roomy, have a velcro cover, but it is not clear to me if "Easily mounted on your wet or dry suit" simply means glueing them on or they come with the whole SR buckle harness like these OMS thigh pockets.

Anyone know? Or have recommendations on what temporary attachment mechanisms you use for drysuit pockets?

Thanks!

Your options are pretty limited. Either a “meh,”elastic around the leg, strap up to the waist belt type such as the OMS, or glue. The OMS one you linked as well as the Dive Rite one it was copied off of tend to slide both fore aft and up down once filled with items.

The cool thing is that there’s not much need for “odd” pocket arrangements or heights, especially in backmount DIR rigging (and really not even in SM but there’s a few that’ll put them on rear thigh).

Stand straight, arm straight down your side. Bottom of pocket should be set at the tip of your longest finger, centered fore aft on the thigh.

In terms of which to glue on, the Halcyon you linked or these from LM work well. 35.100.100-Bellows Exposure Suit Pocket

Your options are pretty limited. Either a “meh,”elastic around the leg, strap up to the waist belt type such as the OMS, or glue. The OMS one you linked as well as the Dive Rite one it was copied off of tend to slide both fore aft and up down once filled with items.

Ah damn, well thanks for confirming my suspicions. I suppose for the sake of completeness, the other option would be something that attaches to wing webbing like this. It looks like it'd be far too close to my hip though.

The cool thing is that there’s not much need for “odd” pocket arrangements or heights, especially in backmount DIR rigging (and really not even in SM but there’s a few that’ll put them on rear thigh).

Stand straight, arm straight down your side. Bottom of pocket should be set at the tip of your longest finger, centered fore aft on the thigh.

Ah gotcha. This is way way later, but do I need to worry at all about the pocket set for back mount not playing well with SM?

I also assume there is a special kind of glue that I can use to make this decision easy to fix for later?

In terms of which to glue on, the Halcyon you linked or these from LM work well. 35.100.100-Bellows Exposure Suit Pocket

Great thanks! Another good option.

Ah gotcha. This is way way later, but do I need to worry at all about the pocket set for back mount not playing well with SM?
There are differing opinions on that one, but it’s not something I feel worth worrying about and the A-framing is slightly over exaggerated. When I’m SM, I put fewer things into my pockets and instead use a butt pouch. I still keep a spare mask and light one one side, and wet notes and a Tarantool in the other. I own a Deep6 7mm that has the pockets on the front of the thigh and frankly can’t stand them there for their proclivity to drag into the ground as they’re the lowest point.

If you elect to use heavy cylinders in SM (say 104s or heavier HP cylinders) or are carrying a stage, it will take some muscle memory practice to be able to pull things out of standard pockets. You effectively need to elbow the cylinder out of the way and then pull the flap up. Easy solution is butt pouch.

Hey folks,
I have a BARE HDC Tech Dry Cave Edition trilam suit which I didn't add pockets to when I bought it. I have never used thigh pockets in tropical diving, mainly because the only important thing that I have carried is the SMB + Spool which I simply attached to my left D-Ring. I am taking a GUE fundies class in a month or so, I realize that a lot of the videos involve manipulating things out of your pocket, e.g. back up mask and then putting them on with one hand. I figure I want to get a feel for all this underwater.

I understand that a prevalent option for thigh pockets is simply to glue them on, such as these from DGX, I want to try to not commit to a position until a couple of dives so I am hesitant to go for a permanent glueing option. I really like these Halcyon weight pockets which look super roomy, have a velcro cover, but it is not clear to me if "Easily mounted on your wet or dry suit" simply means glueing them on or they come with the whole SR buckle harness like these OMS thigh pockets.

Anyone know? Or have recommendations on what temporary attachment mechanisms you use for drysuit pockets?

Thanks!
I dont know what GUE requires but if theres carte blanche then have you considered the shorty types with pockets - in all honesty they not as good as fixed pockets but its a bit of a compromise.
One thing to consider is if you are going to stick on pockets you might want to try the strap on types first to get a location that works for you, then experiment with getting stuff out of youre pockets etc.

I dont like the velcro ones they can come open too easily once the velcro starts getting dirty -id go fro zip ones and tie a bobble on the zipper so you can manipulate with gloves
I buy custom dry suit and have my pockets about 80mm higher than standard so i dont have to crunch up to get stuff out, as @grantctobin says the tanks can be a bit in the way sometimes, maybe another reason to experiment first before stick ons

I use my pockets to store as much stuff in as possible to reduce chest clutter and things to snag on, everything i cant get in a pockets goes on a butt rail

any thoughts to going with tech shorts over your drysuit? i always use them with my 3/4 wetsuit. i’ll never not wear a pair.

I dont like the velcro ones they can come open too easily once the velcro starts getting dirty -id go fro zip ones and tie a bobble on the zipper so you can manipulate with gloves
I buy custom dry suit and have my pockets about 80mm higher than standard so i dont have to crunch up to get stuff out, as @grantctobin says the tanks can be a bit in the way sometimes, maybe another reason to experiment first before stick ons
Good catch on me neglecting pocket shorts. My difficulty w zippered pockets is the ability for a loose thread or line to catch in the teeth and render them almost inoperable. That said, I have had new sets of Velcro sewn into permanent pockets.

I dont know what GUE requires but if theres carte blanche then have you considered the shorty types with pockets - in all honesty they not as good as fixed pockets but its a bit of a compromise.
One thing to consider is if you are going to stick on pockets you might want to try the strap on types first to get a location that works for you, then experiment with getting stuff out of youre pockets etc.

I think my instructor just had a short line that said that he used XYZ brand drysuit, would prefer if we got it custom fit with "large cargo pockets".

I don't mind getting strap on types first if that is the only way out. Although, I am not sure what I'd do with the pockets if I am replacing them with glue ones, one reason why I wondered if there was a "harness" that could be bought separately? Bungees just seems like a messy way.

The Halcyon pockets are easily glued on, here is what they look like on my wetsuit and I have one on each side.
BB874FAF-57B2-45DB-B7C3-0B8614BB7957.jpeg

You could glue on a large patch of velcro felt on the suit and then just stick the pocket (hook side of velcro sewn to back of pocket) in one spot and see how you like it and if not, just peel it off and stick it someplace else on the patch until you get it where you want it. The top of most pockets will ride at or just below your hip.

I think my instructor just had a short line that said that he used XYZ brand drysuit, would prefer if we got it custom fit with "large cargo pockets".

I don't mind getting strap on types first if that is the only way out. Although, I am not sure what I'd do with the pockets if I am replacing them with glue ones, one reason why I wondered if there was a "harness" that could be bought separately? Bungees just seems like a messy way.
sell or use them with a wet suit
not sure what you mean by bungees ? are you referring to the sidemount clips?

Back
Top Bottom