wetsuit tears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred32176

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My 6 year old 3/2 mm wet suit is getting penny sized tears or divots. I found a tear or divot the last 3 times I returned from a dive. These have all been dives in springs. The wetsuit has never been in a pool, but has been in the ocean and freshwater. I bought the wetsuit for surfing 6 for 7 years ago and it mostly hung in the closet for a couple of years and I started using it for scuba this year. I use aquaseal, to repair the wetsuit, don't get cold in the wetsuit and it seems fine until I get home and find another tear when it is drying. My cleaning technique post fresh water diving is - put in completely inside out and hose off all sand, hang on fat hanger on covered back porch. Next morning turn the wetsuit right side out - shake off or hose off sand. Let dry for a. couple of days under the porch. Saltwater cleaning is similar but the wetsuit gets a tap water soak in a laundry tub before being hung up.

Will I need to replace my wetsuit soon?

Attachments

• tempImagejnVx2A.png
    tempImagejnVx2A.png
    596.1 KB · Views: 59
  • tempImageRtRZMO.png
    tempImageRtRZMO.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 62
What brand is that?

Is your equipment causing the tears?

Is your equipment causing the tears?
I don't think so. I use a ScubaPro seahawk 2 BCD and the wetsuit in springs. In the ocean I use a 1 mm vest and BCD, but no wetsuit as I have only done shallow reef dives. No cuts on me or the vest. The only dangly anywhere near the tears is my SPG which doesn't have sharp edges.

After taking the wetsuit off, I throw it in a trashbag and put the trash bag in my car trunk. I rented an air cylinder at Ginnie Springs so there wasn't anything heavy in the trunk on the drive home yesterday. Ginnie Springs is a 2 1/2 hour drive. Alexander Springs and Blue Springs are about an hour drive. All three dives had a cut or a divot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom