Can I use my 11 year old wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_jaguar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Henderson 3mm wetsuit (Class D rated) that I purchased in 2013 and used actively for a few years. Life happened (as in, kid were born :) ) and we stopped diving for many years (7+ years), but the wetsuit was usually hung in a wardrobe (away from light, etc) for the longest time, except for the past year.

During this break, I put on a lot of weight, so using this wetsuit wasn't even a remote possibility, but in the past year, I have lost about 42 pounds (19 kgs) and I am pretty much back to where I was earlier (maybe in slightly better shape than I was earlier). We are now getting back into diving, so I pulled out the wetsuit and it looked as good as new (well, as good as it was 7 years ago). I figured why not try it out - washed it and dried it. I tried it on today and it actually fits! It's not as stretchy as it used to be, but I am hoping after a couple of uses, it will get better.

Is there any harm or issue in using this wetsuit going forward?

if it’s pliable, has no more holes than we’re put into it by the factory, working zipper, and the insides aren’t crumbly it’s alright for a wetsuit. You might notice some water leaking through the seams (you’ll feel some cold lines), but you probably might not die.

I have no idea how old the 5mm I got at a pawn shop is, but I imagine it’s about as old

if it’s pliable, has no more holes than we’re put into it by the factory, working zipper, and the insides aren’t crumbly it’s alright for a wetsuit. You might notice some water leaking through the seams (you’ll feel some cold lines), but you probably might not die.

I have no idea how old the 5mm I got at a pawn shop is, but I imagine it’s about as old
Yep, zipper works great, no crumbling anywhere and it pretty much looks new (except for a couple of tiny rough patches near my shoulder, which was there earlier too). I am planning to take it to the pool this weekend, so I will get a better idea.

My Bare 2/3 Velocity is a couple of years older. It is not great to look at but does the trick and reminds me of some wonderful warm water dives in the Caribbean every time I wear it.

It's not like you have to worry that much about a wetsuit leaking. If it fits, no reason not to wear it. Neoprene stiffens with age, but it it is comfortable and keeps you warm, really no reason to spend money on a new one. You have other things from your original kit that you may want to upgrade first, like a dive computer that has been sitting for a decade or getting your regulator tuned up. A decade old set of Regulator hoses may be another priority.

My farmerjohn/shorty (I think 7mm) wetsuit from '94 is now used by my youngest son after the older boy grew out of it (I "grew" out of it by the time the oldest boy started diving). It's still in good shape and being used. I'm sure it leaks more than it did when I used it for ice diving in the 90's.

Thank you all for chiming in - this is reassuring. I will try out the wetsuit for a few dives and see how it goes.

@CT-Rich you are absolutely correct. I used to dive with aeris and hollis regulators, which are no longer serviceable. Lesson learnt, so I ended up buying a Scubapro MK25 Evo, G260 set (I believe Scubapro services regulators that are decades old and have a long history of support). I had a aeris atmos ai dive computer that I need to now check to see if it still works (battery hatch has cracked and I am trying to get a replacement, which is impossible, so based on advice on another thread, a bit of DIY is required to modify another hatch). Fun times!

... Is there any harm or issue in using this wetsuit going forward?
I continue to use a 3/2 O'Neil jumpsuit that I purchased new in a George Town GC shop in 2000. One of the rubber-like knee pads pulled off a couple of years ago. Otherwise, no problem whatsoever. I do clean it thoroughly using wetsuit shampoo, followed by a couple of soaks and rinses and a Sink-the-Stink soak after every dive outing. I seldom wear it in a chlorinated pool, and I don't dry it in direct sunlight. And, except for that GC trip, my dives using it since have all been in freshwater lakes.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom