Attaching thigh pockets to my dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well if you're going OMS, you may as well wear your wedding suit pants, as it barely fits your hand

018.JPG

The vertical I've removed a couple of straps is weight belt stiff, why and I've also removed the logo

020.JPG

The OTG is good and cheap used it on my leg I don't want anything on my legs then hung it from the plate

204 IMG_3727a (1).jpg

If you need to put it in a pocket, you don't need it

and when you tie a string in your pocket with clips

you pull the string and nothing falls to the bottom

of the ocean

You just reminded me I need to post up a certain DIY thread. I made some pockets which attach to my BCD waist-harness, and then strap around my leg with some elastic and velcro. The advantage is the pockets are always on me, and on my BCD, regardless of what exposure protection I am, or am-not wearing.

Whether I'd actually recommend this setup is VERY situational, but I'll put those details in the DIY thread whenever I make it.

I need to take some better pictures, but here's a preview. I made a few changes since these 2 pictures, but these are the pictures I have on hand at the moment.

20221204_125438.jpg
20221203_131337.jpg

The Halcyon pockets are easily glued on, here is what they look like on my wetsuit and I have one on each side.
View attachment 760662
You could glue on a large patch of velcro felt on the suit and then just stick the pocket (hook side of velcro sewn to back of pocket) in one spot and see how you like it and if not, just peel it off and stick it someplace else on the patch until you get it where you want it. The top of most pockets will ride at or just below your hip.
Wow, I really like the velcro idea, and wish I had thought of it sooner. Also useful if you want to move the pocket around, lets say moving it to a wetsuit, or perhaps moving it depending on back-mount or side-mount.

So I suppose I could get that. I did look briefly into it and it seemed like a way out. Something like this?
Only caveat is that it seems like sizing it for a drysuit would render it too baggy for a 3mm suit?

Although thinking about it, It'd be nice if I could dismantle the pockets from the shorts and later glue it to the drysuit, because then I'd be spending roughly the same, the Halcyon explorer pockets are like $99 each and the shorts come upto like $200.
You might also consider buying pockets. Here are some relatively affordable (slight discount if ordering 2x) ones, with a good amount of space and good build quality.

I can easily pack in a reel, dsmb, and have a little bit of space left over in one pocket.

Brilliant idea chief, I hope you are enjoying your day

It's was a cauldron here this morning, see that speck

010.JPG

Hows these fishing dudes

013.JPG

And bubbling over tonight

023 (2).JPG

You know I had a look at my tyre pumperumperer and scratched my head as to why I'm using a Mk20

003.JPG

You know that Seaskin joint where stuartv got his drysuit 191 pages ago

Well they have some magnificent four inch velcro, and postage is cheep.

And if you use a hair dryer type device to heat up the double sided tape
and the surface you are sticking to, the stuff sticks so much more better.

Well if you're going OMS, you may as well wear your wedding suit pants, as it barely fits your hand

View attachment 760871

The vertical I've removed a couple of straps is weight belt stiff, why and I've also removed the logo

View attachment 760872

The OTG is good and cheap used it on my leg I don't want anything on my legs then hung it from the plate

Thanks for posting that. I thought from the DGX site that the specs for the OMS were 10" X 7" which is smaller than the 11.5" X 8" of the Halcyon but not by far. The OTG one if I am not mistaken is this one. I guess what I am missing is the gusset length for the OMS one. Must be tiny.

I got a response from my instructor that tech shorts would work in the meantime. Don't want to start a whole new thread on this, but do people have strong opinions on any specific brand? Looking through previous threads, I saw rather mixed messages on Apeks, some excitement on the Fourth Element tech shorts, and there is always the Halcyon ones.
I was leaning towards ones with velcro pockets and bungee loops within so that they will mimic what I will eventually upgrade to on the drysuit. Hopefully, I can size it right so that I can wear them with a wetsuit for tropical dives!

What has your experience been so far in terms of how it holds up after a while? I read some spotty reviews on Scubaboard on a lot of these neoprene based shorts (in contrast to the Irikonji shorts which appear to be no longer available).
They use that new “recycled material” neoprene. it feels more like thick cloth than normal neoprene. I’ve had the smalls for over a year with around 300 dives on them (2-10 dives a week) and they’ve held up very well. the only thing is the apeks logo on the pockets faded away. They’re awesome to me anyways.

Dude yeah I saw that my OMS is 10"x6.5" the fabric is stiffer and there's no way you can carry below

despite the gusset on both allowing about a two inch depth

My OTG when it was compulsory to carry this junk had wetnotes spool dsmb mask epirb and gloves
all clipped togther on a string

One of these pockets is good to have when you may need a pocket like this

Back
Top Bottom