Attaching thigh pockets to my dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any thoughts to going with tech shorts over your drysuit? i always use them with my 3/4 wetsuit. i’ll never not wear a pair.

So I suppose I could get that. I did look briefly into it and it seemed like a way out. Something like this?
Only caveat is that it seems like sizing it for a drysuit would render it too baggy for a 3mm suit?

Although thinking about it, It'd be nice if I could dismantle the pockets from the shorts and later glue it to the drysuit, because then I'd be spending roughly the same, the Halcyon explorer pockets are like $99 each and the shorts come upto like $200.

not sure what you mean by bungees ? are you referring to the sidemount clips?

Oh, maybe not bungees. But I was thinking of something like what the OMS side mount has with SR buckles. But yeah, maybe sidemount clips, assuming the back of the pockets have a webbing attached to them.

The Halcyon pockets are easily glued on, here is what they look like on my wetsuit and I have one on each side.
View attachment 760662
You could glue on a large patch of velcro felt on the suit and then just stick the pocket (hook side of velcro sewn to back of pocket) in one spot and see how you like it and if not, just peel it off and stick it someplace else on the patch until you get it where you want it. The top of most pockets will ride at or just below your hip.

Oh this seems very interesting. Wouldn't this require me to remove the felt from the suit when I do eventually glue it on? Also, I am thinking I will have to be careful about not loading the pocket while using the velcro mechanism so that the pocket just doesn't fall off or something.

Can you have the manufacturer add them? That’s an expensive item to experiment on. I use and like the Halcyon weighted bellows pocket when diving wet. It’s roomy and stays tucked out of the way. If I needed more room I’d go with tech shorts. i sent DUI a pair of the Halcyon pockets to add when they made my dry suit.

Can you have the manufacturer add them? That’s an expensive item to experiment on. I use and like the Halcyon weighted bellows pocket when diving wet. It’s roomy and stays tucked out of the way. If I needed more room I’d go with tech shorts. i sent DUI a pair of the Halcyon pockets to add when they made my dry suit.

Yeah, I messed up in planning this out. My class starts in 4 weeks and I'd have to ship them to DRIS (who I bought them from) alongside the pockets and then get them. Let me reach out to them on Monday on this.

You can glue a a big patch of the velour side of heavy duty Velcro on the thigh of your drysuit and then put the hook side on the back of your pockets….you can then reposition them as often as you like.

-Z

Yeah, I messed up in planning this out. My class starts in 4 weeks and I'd have to ship them to DRIS (who I bought them from) alongside the pockets and then get them. Let me reach out to them on Monday on this.
I can’t recall who BAUE sends theirs to, but if DRIS turn around time is too long, there’s also Stay Dri in Florida and Superior Diving in Minnesota as other options.

I will check them out. I suppose I could ship it to extreme-exposure as well, I was planning on getting the pockets from them and looks like they do installations as well.

So I suppose I could get that. I did look briefly into it and it seemed like a way out. Something like this?
Only caveat is that it seems like sizing it for a drysuit would render it too baggy for a 3mm suit?

Although thinking about it, It'd be nice if I could dismantle the pockets from the shorts and later glue it to the drysuit, because then I'd be spending roughly the same, the Halcyon explorer pockets are like $99 each and the shorts come upto like $200.
I have the apeks version, smalls on a 3/4 wetsuit and i then purchased the XS. i’m 6’0” and 170-180. MT wetsuit.

I had an end of life drysuit that I salvaged the pocket off of and glued one to my tropical wetsuit. It’s not hard to do, I had to stretch out my wetsuit to the size the pocket would be when wearing, but no such requirement for a drysuit. I ended up using contact cement rather than Aquaseal.

I have the apeks version, smalls on a 3/4 wetsuit and i then purchased the XS. i’m 6’0” and 170-180. MT wetsuit.

What has your experience been so far in terms of how it holds up after a while? I read some spotty reviews on Scubaboard on a lot of these neoprene based shorts (in contrast to the Irikonji shorts which appear to be no longer available).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom