Dry suits-neo vs crush/ comp neo vs laminate vs fusion. How do they dive/feel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you're traveling and weight is a concern, I'd go with a crushed neoprene suit.

A suit should be close to the body without causing discomfort, i.e., you should never feel like there is a huge bubble of air floating around. Gas must disperse through the space between the suit and the undergarment equally. A good made-to-measure suit will give you that type of fit regardless of the material type. However, crushed neoprene will be warmer which means you may need fewer layers. Fewer layers translate into less displaced volume which means less added weight.

Note, *may* is the keyword in the statement above. YMMV.

If you're in cold water regularly, consider a heated undergarment instead of multiple layers. The same logic applies - fewer layers, less weight to add. In general, your undergarments play a huge role in heat management. Well-made, quality undergarments trap air which acts as an insulator. Cheap undergarments compress easily and lose insulation capabilities. Therefore, whatever you do, don't go cheap in this area.

Laminate suits shine when you travel often. They are lighter and they dry faster, so if your last dive is on Saturday morning, the suit will be dry by the time you pack it on Sunday morning and fly. Quality suits won't develop leaks and I see folks cave diving in trilam suits all the time.

Are you north sound or south sound? Plenty of us around to provide a bit of insight and hands on experience. I'm any case for around here you'll want neo socks and rock boots. The oysters and barnacles during shore entry are not kind and is easier to replace a rock boot than one that's attached.
Unfortunately not on the coast, a long day’s drive away. So would be throwing the gear in vehicle, hanging out on the coast for a while and doing some dives.

Back
Top Bottom