Heated vests - Do they actually work ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A break or crimp in any nichrome wire based vest will burn you. The Santi uses nichrome wire and every motorcycle vest I've seen uses a similar technology. And for whatever reason in a drysuit its very hard to detect/realize you have a major hotspot until you are already burnt.

There are other types like the light monkey carbon wire pads but they are arent as waterproof and typically have lower wattage overall

Sorry it wasn't clear. The point I was trying to make is that any heating design that does not allow the power to be quickly, completely, and reliably disconnected without unzipping a dry suit is a bad one.

If you get a hot spot you should be able to unplug the heated vest or undergarment or whatever. You might get a minor (maybe 2nd degree) burn while you cope, but I know someone that surfaced with 3rd degree burns on one hand because the heat could not be positively turned off or unplugged from outside the suit and there was a significant deco obligation to be discharged before surfacing.

I personally use dry gloves and wrist seals with a piece of cord under the wrist seal. If I had heated gloves I could take off the outer glove, unplug the heated glove, and pluck out the cord, but that wasn't the setup. (The reason I have things set up this way is in case I tear a glove.) That doesn't work with, say, a motorcycle vest.

Was hoping for comments from actual users of these vests…but seem to be only getting alternative suggestions…

With little or no body fat,I am now considering buying a Venture vest for Cozumel diving. Would appreciate seeing more comments from wetsuit divers experiencing use in,“cooler” tropical waters.
You would be better off with a hooded vest.

I use a heated vest in 45-50f water all the time, but it is NOT a substitute for proper thermal protection. The heated suits just take the edge off and make things a bit more pleasant.

Was hoping for comments from actual users of these vests…but seem to be only getting alternative suggestions…
I have and use one, the alternatives are the answer, these cost to much and the reliability is uncertain at best.

You could always add some bioprene. 😁
“Please sacrifice physical and potentially mental health so that you can be slightly warmer on a recreational activity that most people will not do more than 50hr a year.”

There are several first-hand accounts up thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom