Water temp effect on scrubber performance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

igoRluse

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I have just been reading the doc from Dräger discussing the scrubber time increase from 70 mins to 110 mins of the Ray scrubber. I have put it in the resources section of my site for reference.

Basically the test data is as follows:

If the physical work is reduced to the following test criteria:
- water bath temperature : 4 (-2)°C
- breathing rate : 20 strokes/min. x 1.5 L/stroke = 30 L/min.
BTPS*
- simulated oxygen consumption : 1.33 L/min. STPD**
- interruption criterion : 0.5 % by vol. CO2 in the inhaled gas
- CO2 supply : 1.2 L/min. STPD**
the CO2 absorption increases from 70 minutes to 110 minutes.

Now this shows that under normal levels of exertion a recreational diver would have to handle with, the scubber duration goes to 110 mins, but this is in water at -2°C !!!

Myself I would pretty much never have to deal with water under 16°C even in the midst of winter so how will that affect the scrubber performance? Does anyone know of any test run on this?

igoRluse:
Hi all,
I have just been reading the doc from Dräger discussing the scrubber time increase from 70 mins to 110 mins of the Ray scrubber. I have put it in the resources section of my site for reference.
Now this shows that under normal levels of exertion a recreational diver would have to handle with, the scubber duration goes to 110 mins, but this is in water at -2°C !!!

I cant get your site up so can't fully comment. However it may turn out that this is a typo. The test water temperature is normally 4 degrees Centrigrade with a tolerance of plus or minus 1 deg C Its problerbly the +/- bit thats the typo.
However I wouldn,t mind seeing the detail if you could post or email the full spec.

What you have posted looks a bit slight on the other factors.
C02 injection in the bag is normally 1.6 litres per minute in the test, injecting only 1.2 l/min will of course increase the scubber chemical lifetime for a given C02 loading.
0.5% breakout is the same on both tests.

Again the oxygen simulated absorbsion is normally tested by removing 1.78 l/min from the exhaled gas simulator.
Your figure of 1.2 l/min is again light. Also BTPS (Body Temperature Pressure Saturated) figures are very low.
It may sounds like breathe less to last longer!! but a least you have some proper test data to work from.

Strange, site seems to be up. Anywho, I attached the doc in question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom