Was it airfills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dannobee,
I told some woman divers from Concord who were interested in meeting others diving Monterey about your group. They have 30+ dives under their belts, but the instructor over-rid me and said it was not a good idea diving with unknowns from SB.

Oh, their instructor is an instructor? Wow, what a coincidence, so am I. :wink:

Tell them that I said it was OK.

You know, WE were noobs once, too, and we managed to meet SB'ers and survive their antics and good humor. :eyebrow:

Tell the guy to lighten up, we're really a nice group of people who love to dive.

When did you say you were coming over?

:popcorn:
Is that an invite? Can your compressor handle two female divers at once? J/K, but you TOTALLY opened yourself up for that one!

I think I will be driving up on Friday night and staying at my friend's parents house for the weekend. I am sooooo looking forward to getting away for the weekend. Thanks again for coordinating the dive, Dan. It will be nice to dive with you again.

Oh, their instructor is an instructor? Wow, what a coincidence, so am I. :wink:

Tell them that I said it was OK.

You know, WE were noobs once, too, and we managed to meet SB'ers and survive their antics and good humor. :eyebrow:

Tell the guy to lighten up, we're really a nice group of people who love to dive.
I don't understand...were the women mentioned wanting someone to help them with their dives, or were you just suggesting they could join the M&G and meet other divers? Aren't we all responsible for ourselves out there diving? So, what difference does it make if you meet people from SB or you meet strangers in a dive class, etc.?

Dan, on an organized dive like a M&G are you responsible for the divers that show up for the diving on that day because of your level of certification?

Aren't we all responsible for ourselves out there diving? So, what difference does it make if you meet people from SB or you meet strangers in a dive class, etc.?

Yes, we are all responsible for ourselves.

Yes, technically, somebody could be held liable if they really screw something up.

But this is a social gathering with a little diving and not formal training or a refresher course, none of you are my students, and I'm not doing this for compensation, so the rules are a little different.

Now lets go have some fun and dive!

I know that this issue (re: liability at a M&G) has been set up. I have actually contemplated using my law degree (for something finally!) and drafting a waiver. If leaders are interested in having this, I would be more than happy to make something up, pass it around for feedback, etc.

And yes - lets get back to diving. I WANT TO GO ON SATURDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. No takers?

I know that this issue (re: liability at a M&G) has been set up. I have actually contemplated using my law degree (for something finally!) and drafting a waiver. If leaders are interested in having this, I would be more than happy to make something up, pass it around for feedback, etc.

And yes - lets get back to diving. I WANT TO GO ON SATURDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. No takers?
I belong to the dive singles group, and we all have to sign a simple waiver. Chuck Tribolet would be able to tell you how they came up with that particular waiver.

I think it is wise to be cautious diving with people you don't know. I was just curious if there was any responsibility involved, and maybe that is why that comment was made to CMCHURCH? Otherwise, it seems rude to say that to someone.

Hm, I am unable to comment on a comment made to CM. I know that part of the reason that I began the M&Gs was because meeting strangers is generally more safe when you do it in larger groups. I am generally more amped to go cold water diving than my husband so I am oftentimes in search of a dive buddy, hence having joined SB and almost immediately plunking down in the NorCal section. HOWEVER, I was really leary about meeting strangers to go 1:1 diving with them. There are just too many things that could wrong and, at the time, I would not have been comfortable finishing a dive alone, etc.

So, I started putting together the M&G since there a lot of divers out there that might not otherwise have buddies because their spouse doesn't dive, they are single, recently certified, etc. I am proud that a number of friendships (some very strong ones) have come about by people who have met at them. I know I've met some people that I am really honored to call friends, some people that I am just honored to have had the opportunity to meet (CT), dive in the same geographic area with (Doc), etc. etc. etc.

Going back to "Meeting SB-ers = dangerous" --- Inherently, meeting strangers is dangerous. Hence the reason that our parents chided us not to talk to strangers when we were small (I won't say "kids" b/c some of us still are kids! :D ). You really have to use your best common sense. If someone is pushy or just gives you a weird feeling on dry land, you probably don't want to be in the water with them.

I think we've had success with the M&Gs and I hope noone ever feels creeped out, alone or whatever at them. If they do, I've got more work to do!

...Inherently, meeting strangers is dangerous. Hence the reason that our parents chided us not to talk to strangers when we were small...

My parents told me not to talk to strange people, and us SB'ers are about as strange as they come. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom