Was it airfills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of Airfills...I just dropped off my tanks at the place around the corner from Anchor Shack to get them hydro'd, but I have a question. :confused:

Why would a fairly new tank get rust inside? I don't run my tanks empty, I am pretty good with my air, but when I had my tank visually inspected there happened to be rust in the tank. I purchased the tank brand new HP 80 (shorty tank because I am a whimp) from a dive shop out in the Santa Rosa area. I've only been using my own tank(s) the past 4 years or so, so I used to always rent tanks and wouldn't have known if they had rust in them. Is there something I might be doing to make this happen or is it just a fluke?

Thanks,

Tessa

From what I've heard, if you have rust in a tank that's never been empty, most likely it was introduced during fills.

If you take your tank on boats that do onboard fills sometimes the air they fill with can have moisture. It's not because the tanks sit in water during fills at your LDS.

I have had saltwater (can see salt crystals) in my tanks. This may be from water on the tank valve during filling. The filler did not crack the valve before filling to blow off the water droplets. Boat fills and perhaps the LDS Monterey Breakwater.

What are you looking at roughly price wise to do your own Nitrox fills?

Right about $2 per fill for nitrox (100cu ft tanks). That's oxygen, filters, electricity and compressor maintenance.

I have had saltwater (can see salt crystals) in my tanks. This may be from water on the tank valve during filling. The filler did not crack the valve before filling to blow off the water droplets. Boat fills and perhaps the LDS Monterey Breakwater.
That makes sense. It is gross when I think about it, but I guess having snot in my mask is gross too and I deal with that.

Thanks

Right about $2 per fill for nitrox (100cu ft tanks). That's oxygen, filters, electricity and compressor maintenance.

I am guessing thats not got 100cu ft HP tanks? Is there such a thing as a small affordable booster?

Once I find a home in the Monterey area that I can call my own it would be awesome to fill my own tanks.

I am guessing thats not got 100cu ft HP tanks? Is there such a thing as a small affordable booster?

Once I find a home in the Monterey area that I can call my own it would be awesome to fill my own tanks.

Those are HP tanks. My compressor pumps to 5000 psi.

No, there's no such thing as a small affordable booster. Once you get a compressor for drive air then get the booster, you're looking at more than the cost of a decent compressor. The boosters will do high oxygen mixes (>40%) though.

Would it be because the tanks sit in water? I wouldn't think it could get in there any other way?

Before you get your tanks filled after a dive, make sure you crack the valve to blow out any water. Rarely does the dive shop do this so I make sure to do it myself. And sure enough, when I crack the valve I see a bit of water spraying out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom