Wanna stay down longgerrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a better computer. If that one gave you those numbers, it sucks.

I dove up to 7 overfilled 130s a day and most often had around a 1.0 to 1.2 PO2. Nearly impossible for me to max out CNS on singles without having rich deco mixes to bump it up. Not that I ever GAF about CNS exposure limits.

Yes, but you accumulate almost no CNS % on your first dive at 50 ft. And not much at 70 ft, for your second dive. The key to accumulating CNS percentage is PPO2 (depends on O2% and depth) and time. You did not have enough O2% or depth or time to get to 70% CNS.

Maybe not making it up, but maybe something is set wrong on yor computer?

This question is unanswerable until we figure how where the problem is.
My computer with RGBM deco model does have different algorithms including a few conservative ones...once i get back to south Florida i'll check for sure.

You may not be new to diving but the questions you ask and the stuff you are saying makes it clear you aren’t ready to do deco dives on your own.
Start by taking a class so you know what CNS is. If you understand the basic stuff you will be able to plan your own dives without relying on some strangers on a forum.

Every person can put on twins and jump in the water, even getting to the bottom isn’t hard. It’s making it back to the surface that might be challenging if something out of the expected happens.
#1- i have TDI advanced nitrox so know what CNS, PPo2, etc is
#2- " you aren’t ready to do deco dives on your own", you shouldn't do OW dives solo, let alone a "tech" dive with deep stop/deco:confused:

Not what I wrote.

BTW I have done back to back dives with similar max depths like yours but with total dive times over 60 minutes as I came shallower in the last half of the dives. On the second dive I would start with 2% or 3% cns as it has reduced during surface time. On the second dive my max cns will be around 10 - 12%

tursiops wrote "Yes, but you accumulate almost no CNS % on your first dive at 50 ft. And not much at 70 ft, for your second dive. The key to accumulating CNS percentage is PPO2 (depends on O2% and depth) and time. You did not have enough O2% or depth or time to get to 70% CNS"

I agree with his statement. If you are diving in air mode with 21% your dives are shallow at 21m 70 foot depth. Look at this dive chart. I have it to show Depth, orange line PPO2 and the Green Line CNS. It was my second dive of the day to retrieve a dropped camera rig to 45m max depth. The CNS climbs from 3% to 8% PPO2 also very low. Perhaps try a different dive computer like a perdix on the same dive with your current dive computer and compare the data after repeat dives. You could have a faulty reading on your own dive computer for CNS?

View attachment 631259
You went down to 45m.... i doubt that you did that on OC or twinset, please tell me what you used so i can reevaluate what i might need or see what others are using, thx <TG>
@tursiops said:When you say you did two dives, first at 50 ft and then at 70 ft.......are those depths the maximum depths of the dive, or the average depths? If average, how was it calculated?

those depths of mine were BT but most of the dive time was at those depths so...

Eh, what?
My last dive was to 57m on OC, why would you doubt that he went down to 45m on OC...?
well at least not on a "normal" tank. never heard of a rational person going to almost 150ft w/o a twinset or something else like stage bottles... ,tg.

well at least not on a "normal" tank. never heard of a rational person going to almost 150ft w/o a twinset or something else like stage bottles... ,tg.
Well the way you worded your reply to @BLACKCRUSADER was kind of odd, "doubt you did that on OC or twinset".
But yeah, rational people wouldn't do a dive like that on a single tank.

There may have been some bad education in the past, a computer not worth a crap, really don't know. The CNS problem listed should not exist.
I also think that it is impossible that the oxygen over exposure can determine a limit on the duration of the dive.
Instead the assumption of a dive with no deco obligation (NDL) or the amount of gas available set the limit.
For the first limit, the solution is simple, as others (and I) already posted: just ignore the limit, go beyond it and plan for some minutes of deco. It can be very pleasant if done along the reef...
Which brings back to the second limit, and the need for more gas. You can get the additional gas required using a twin tank (as the old 10+10 liters which I was using in the past), or slinging an additional tank on your side (so you have the standard 15 liters on the back and a 5 liters pony tank).
The second solution allows for using an highly oxygenated mixture, transforming the pony tank into a true deco tank, which, according to some theories, makes it safe to shorten the deco stops. But I prefer to have the same gas everywhere, usually plain air.

Said that, back to that strange concept of CNS%.
Here please excuse my ignorance (I was never trained to "tech").
What is exactly that CNS% number? CNS stands for me as the acronym for Central Nervous System: how can it become a percentage? And why should one worry about it, when using an OC system and respecting the MOD of the mixture?

Said that, back to that strange concept of CNS%.
Here please excuse my ignorance (I was never trained to "tech").
What is exactly that CNS% number? CNS stands for me as the acronym for Central Nervous System: how can it become a percentage? And why should one worry about it, when using an OC system and respecting the MOD of the mixture?
From the NOAA Dive Manual:
3.3.3.3.1 CNS: Central Nervous System
CNS oxygen toxicity can occur at the high end of PO2 levels, even after short exposures. Typically, it can develop within a few to many minutes on exposure to partial pressures of oxygen above 1.6 atm (roughly 5 to 50 min, but this is highly variable) (Lambertsen 1978). The end result may be an epileptic-like convulsion that is not damaging in itself, but can result in drowning or physical injury. The acronym CONVENTID (see Figure 3.21) is a simple way to remember all the signs and symptoms of CNS oxygen toxicity. It is important to note that these symptoms may come in any order. There are other signs and symptoms of CNS toxicity. Not onerous in themselves, they are justification to stop a dive. They include twitching of lips and facial muscles, visual or hearing disturbances, nausea, dizziness, difficulty in breathing (dyspnea), anxiety, confusion, poor coordination, and unusual fatigue. These may warn of an impending convulsion; however, a convulsion is just as likely to occur without any warning. Divers have been known to “black out” or go unconscious without a convulsion; this may be a manifestation of oxygen toxicity.

3.3.3.3.5 Concepts of Oxygen Exposure Management
The traditional method used for prevention of CNS oxygen toxicity is to stay within exposure durations that are based on the oxygen level, or PO2, to which the diver is exposed (U.S.Navy Diving Manual 1999). These limits allow a certain time at each PO2 range. Such an approach has been
practiced by the U.S. Navy and by NOAA for many years in their procedures for mixed gas and oxygen diving. As with decompression, a limit appears to be implemented as if it were a solid line dividing “no problems” from “guaranteed problems.” Actually, a limit is a solid line drawn through a wide gray area of gradually increasing risk. The limits given here and in other limit-based algorithms (such as a decompression table) are recommended guidelines for use under normal conditions. They have been proven in practice. They work for most people most of the time, but they are not guaranteed to work for all people all of the time under all circumstances. They may need to be more conservative when conditions are more stressful. Diving with procedures described in this chapter imposes a relatively low risk of oxygen toxicity. The exposures are short and outside the limits that are expected to cause problems.

3.3.3.3.6 Prevention of CNS Poisoning
With the help of experts, NOAA developed estimated oxygen exposure limits that were published in the 1991 version of the NOAA Diving Manual. These limits are shown in Table 3.4. They are intended for a diver doing dives for research, sampling, inspection, observation, and
light to moderate work at the higher PO2 levels. The lower levels can be used for heavier and more stressful types of work. For each level of oxygen, the chart shows an allowable time for a single exposure and also an accumulated time at that level over a full day. If more than one dive is made to the maximum exposure of a PO2 of 1.6 ata, a suggested surface interval of at least 90 minutes is advised between dives (three dives of 45 minutes each would theoretically be possible within the 150-minutes daily total allowed at 1.6 ata PO2). This helps lower the accumulated oxygen dose. This only applies to the exposure at 1.6 ata, because only one maximal dive can be done in a single day with lower oxygen exposure levels. If, however, one or more dives in a 24-hour period taken every 20 or 30 minutes of oxygen breathing at high PO2 levels. This avoids oxygen convulsions in all but very rare cases and also postpones pulmonary toxicity. In situahave reached or exceeded the limits for a normal single exposure, the diver should spend a minimum of two hours at a normoxic PO2 (such as on the surface breathing air) before resuming diving. If diving in a 24-hour period reaches the Maximum 24-hour Limit, the diver must spend a minimum of 12 hours at normoxic PO2 before diving again.

3.3.3.3.7 The “Oxygen Clock” or “O2 Limit Fraction”
These exposure limits are sometimes referred to as the “oxygen clock” in percentage of the allowable limit, or the “O2 limit fraction” as a decimal fraction of the limit (Hamilton 1988). For single dives to a single depth (square profile), calculating the percentage of oxygen exposure is as simple as dividing the minutes of the exposure by the maximum allowable exposure time at a given PO2. However, it is rare that a diver is ever at one
depth for the entire dive. Although the principle has not been verified experimentally, it is customary to add the percentages or fractions of exposure for different parts of the dive to calculate an estimated total oxygen exposure for a given dive. It is not necessary to have a dive computer to track these exposures if the dive can be separated into segments that have a predominant or average level. The times spent at each depth or exposure level can be assigned a fraction or percentage of the “allowable” limit, and these can simply be added together. Table 3.5 allows these segments to be determined from a chart. For multilevel dives or more than one dive of less than maximum allowed duration, it is possible to interpolate the limit values. That is to say, at any level the full limit on the oxygen clock is 100 percent of the limit, or an O2 limit fraction of 1.0. Exposures at all levels are totaled. For example, at 1.4 atm the allowable exposure time is 150 minutes (see Figure 3.22). If a diver has an exposure to that level for 75 minutes, half the allowable time, this would run the oxygen clock to 50 percent of the limit or the limit fraction to 0.5.
If there is additional exposure on the same dive, for example, 60 minutes at 1.3 PO2, for which the allowable time is 180 minutes, an additional one-third, 33 percent or 0.33 is added, giving an oxygen clock now of 83 percent or a limit fraction of 0.83. When the total reaches 100 percent or
1.0, the diver is considered to have reached the allowable limit, and further exposure to elevated oxygen is at increased risk. Diving beyond the limit is not recommended. Although there has been no specific laboratory validation of this technique of interpolating the exposure times, it appears to work in practice. The NOAA oxygen exposure limits have been shown to be reasonable limits through extensive use.

upload_2020-12-19_13-7-30.png

upload_2020-12-19_13-7-51.png

upload_2020-12-19_13-8-16.png

I did that 45m dive on an AL 100 single tank on air. Started dive with 200 bar ended dive with 60 bar. SAC rate for the dive was 9.85L/min due to swimming back against current for last half of the dive. It was as I said just to retrieve a dropped camera rig and I wasn't exceeding NDL. I still had 180 bar left by the time I retrieved the camera rig and had a pleasant dive after that.

My CNS never got above 8% and this is the second dive of the morning.

45M AIR.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom