* * * Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega Dive Plan * * *

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimdiverman:
Is anyone considering entering the cavern at Vortex?
I can answer that one! Yes. (I dive the cavern to the sign, and I've even found a bullet on my long diving-in-circles investigations there.)

jimdiverman:
Sheesh!! It took me 30 minutes just to wade through all of these posts in this thread. So is there a consolidated concensus that Vortex is the place?

It'll most likely be at Vortex or at Gulf Shores.

Of course if at Vortex that doesn't exclude it only to Vortex. You'll find most folks leaving and venturing off to other places during the day.

Also is there an agenda/schedule for the weekend? The reason I ask this is so that if people did want to go off and beach dive or go to Cypress, they could have an idea on what times to plan around so as a group people will know what time people are getting together for the "fest"ivities.

Like Kracken said, people will get together that night for festivities. I'm sure they'll be a few who get wet that night for a night dive too.

As for other agenda/schedule, you'll see as the date draws nearer people will state that they plan to drive-n-dive Cypress or Morrison at morning or afternoon, and groups will start to form to dive those locations.

I doubt they'll be much beach diving if done from Vortex. the tides are just not good that weekend for shore diving in the pass at St Andrews or East Pass (Destin). So any saltwater diving will likely be done by boat. If at Gulf Shores, then there are other shore dive locations that are not as tide dependent.

ClayJar:
I can answer that one! Yes. (I dive the cavern to the sign, and I've even found a bullet on my long diving-in-circles investigations there.)

I have hooked up with a tec instructor. It is kind of up to me as to when I want to start the training. I will need to make some modifications to my gear to do this. I am assuming you go in with two tanks.

Do you have a map of the cave? I have never been past the gate. Is there a website to study that someone has done on the interior?

I think if I was to go back to dive at Vortex, I would want to enter the cave, and for that, I want/need to be certified.

If anyone in the LA/MS/AL/FL area is interested in doing tech (in Pensacola) in the next couple of months, please let me know.

Thanks.

darcy:
yay! vortoberfest. see you all there. and some i haven't seen in awhile!

I figured you'd forgotten your ScubaBoard password or something :p

jimdiverman:
Also is there an agenda/schedule for the weekend? The reason I ask this is so that if people did want to go off and beach dive or go to Cypress, they could have an idea on what times to plan around so as a group people will know what time people are getting together for the "fest"ivities. I realize that things are pretty flexible, but maybe if someone put together a schedule of things, it would be easy to plan whatever.

Is anyone considering entering the cavern at Vortex?

Just a newbie asking questions....

Closer to date when we can monitor to the river levels more accurately, there will be a schedule of sorts up - atleast for me. People are free to tag along with my plans though :) Usually it results in a dive at Morrison in the morning, then Sally's, then Vortex dives, then dine, then Vortex night dive, then drink like mad. Then Cypress the next morning, followed by Sally's.

This year my plan will variate a bit, I don't think I'll be diving Vortex, which will free up time for scouting out more springs - which is something I've been meaning to do for awhile anyway.

Regardless, its too damned early to make plans :p

If we dive Vortex, the cavern will be dived, until we hit the sign, about 20' back :shakehead Rick and Tom, maybe some others(?), who are cave cert'd will likely penetrate further.

From what I've heard from talking to cave divers, the cave (i.e. past the "prevent your death" sign) is pretty much a wide open tunnel until you get to the gate, but once you unlock and go past the gate, it very quickly requires sidemounts if you want to continue. I have no interest at all in going cave, so I can't say anything from experience -- I don't do the cave, even to the gate.

They do have that nice model of the cave in the shop, but I haven't taken any photos of it or anything.

The Kraken:
Hey, Bubble Blowers,

Time to start marking your calendars for "Vortoberfest III".

Vortoberfest III will take place, once again at Vortex Spring (God willing it hasn't been sold) the weekend of October 19th, 20th, 21st and 22nd.

Spots have been reserved and the Vortex personnel are awaiting us once again this year.

If you've never been, talk to those that have ! ! !

It's fun.

Come join us ! ! !

from all of the "Vortoberfest Vets" ! ! !

I will try to wrangle a group from the Augusta area to come down there for the festivities.
:monkeydan

Woooooo Hooooooo ! ! !

3 months to VORTOBERFEST III

OK, so I'm a week early.

Start making your plans guys !!!!

The 19th, 20th and 21st.

the K

Back
Top Bottom