VORTEX Meet/Greet/Eat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't quote me, but I think you have to be out of the basin by 2300 hours.
Wouldn't mind doing a night dive Friday night.

the K

I'm trying to arrange my day to get up there Friday afternoon. Gulf-Gulper says he'll try to join us after work. Maybe we can have a mini-mega meet and greet.

The Kraken:
Don't quote me, but I think you have to be out of the basin by 2300 hours.
Wouldn't mind doing a night dive Friday night.

the K

That is correct. Their site says "Night diving with permission (until - 11 p.m.)
Due to our limited 911 support there is No diving from midnight to 6 am ever.

Hey FSUgly, are you up for a night dive Friday?

Well that sucks, I was hoping to get a midnight dive in. I really don't wanna pay for 2 days of diving just to get a night dive in Fri night.

Maybe I'll pray to the weather gods to let the river drop tramatically enough for Morrison to clear up enough for a night dive there. They are technically open dawn - dusk, but there isn't anyone around to enforce it as we found out a month or so ago.

SeaYoda:
Hey FSUgly, are you up for a night dive Friday?

SeaYoda, how early will you be there? I can pretty much be there whenever on Friday. I would like to get a daylight dive in first, since I haven't been in the water with my gear since it was serviced and as a familiarization with the spring, as well. I have only done one other night dive, and it was a drift dive down the Rainbow River in Crystal River, but I would certainly be up for doing one with you if it is something a reg OW certification diver can do :).
What all is there to see and do down there? I am only OW certified, so not sure what is acceptable and safe to do there. From my check out dives, I remember the concrete swim thru's and the sign at the cave/cavern? entrance warning about how many people have died in caves in Florida. Basically, what should I expect to do.
How do they go about verifying you have paid for diving on a particular day? Diff color wristbands, or the date written on wristbands? I guess I want to make sure I get $50 worth of diving out of the place, if I have to pay for Friday evening, and Saturday.
What will everyone breathing....Air or nitrox? Anything else anyone can tell me, please do :)

Hey SuPrBuGmAn, I'll have my small dome tent, so if there is room on your site, and you do not mind, I'll split in on the site rental fees and such. Thanks :)

Hey, Ugly,

Can ya bring a covered dish or something for the Sheebang ???

the K

The Kraken:
Hey, Ugly,

Can ya bring a covered dish or something for the Sheebang ???

the K

Sure....What goes with Brunswick Stew? Can't say that I've ever had it before, so let me know. My wife is a pretty good cook :)

I don't know exactly when I'll get there yet, my wife has some appointments to schedule in the morning so it will be in the afternoon before I get to leave home. I want to get some diving in before dark too, just to get my $25.00 worth :D. Gulf-Gulper should be driving up after work to meet us, I'm bringing his gear with me.

The Spring is great for OW - just going to the basin and wide mouth cavern area is where I plan to play. Farther than that it becomes a cave and that's a no-no for me. The cavern is more like an overhang or horn shape than an enclosed place, so no worries. Corigan says the eels come out more at night too so I'm looking forward to that. The viz should be clearer after most of the swimmers go home - we may be lucky because it's Friday, possibly less crowded and better viz. I'll be diving air and being sure to get a fill before the shop closes.

Are we going to fix something to eat Friday night or just go to Sally's down the road?

I'm planning the face stuffing event for late Saturday afternoon/early evening.

There's a little restaurant at the crossroads back towards Ponce De Leon that makes a great burger !!!!!

Ugly,
This is one of those social events in the time honored tradition of all those great things southern.
Men are to bring their best lies.
The Lady is to bring that dish which she knows she makes better than any other Lady in the surrounding 10 counties but which, when being ravenously consumed by the populus, she absolutely condemns as not being fit for human consumption and should have thrown out to the dogs.
(I know this sounds sexist and politically incorrect, but sometimes ya just have to deal with things the way they have been, the way they are, and the way they will continue to be forever)

Let's see what comes to mind:
Fried Chicken
Tater Salad
Deviled Eggs
Macaronni & Cheese
There has to be a scalloped potato casserole somewhere in the mix
Apple Pie
oh, and did I mention
APPLE PIE ???

You probably have the gist of things by now . . . :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/