Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, that's really unfortunate. I suppose I'm stating the obvious, but this is another point towards investing in the proper equipment to test your gas-mixture, and always testing your gas, when diving with mixed-gasses.

You missed correct labeling of bottles, as well. Not saying that’s what happened in this case, but that goes along with always analyzing.

always testing your gas, when diving with mixed-gasses.
Any gas. Testing and labeling go back to every Nitrox certified diver's basic training. I guess that mistakes are still possible, but it's a real head-shaker.

When I first got interested in Carbon Monoxide tank risks, I joined a cave diving forum just to see what they were using to test tanks for CO, but they weren't much. I was surprised, but thanked them and left.

Just a shame. Was he on his bailouts or no? How did he get to unsafe PP02 on his rebreather?

This thought about gas analysis and labeling is, I believe, sorely misplaced as it relates to this tragedy. The newspaper reporter simply doesn‘t understand the intricacies.

Eric was on a his closed-circuit rebreather and appeared to have an oxygen toxicity event. If you understand rebreathers you will know there are a few ways this could have occurred. I don't know which of those possibilities lead to that apparent event. Perhaps we will in the future.

Just a shame. Was he on his bailouts or no? How did he get to unsafe PP02 on his rebreather?
Kiss units use one of your bailout cylinders as a diluent supply. At 190’ he should have had either a normoxic or hypoxic mix for his diluent to allow him to lower his PO2 to a safe level. i haven’t seen what it actually was but it sounds like it was something higher.

OSHA doesn’t apply to government employees. Many government agencies voluntary apply, but for LE and fire/rescue it would be impossible to do their jobs and comply with OSHA.
Certainly do in Australia!

this will tamp down on any rumors.
100% agree. Making accident info available calms down loose speculation. The recovery team did it right by getting the info published immediately

Gus of dive talk had a near miss on the roaring river project as well when he incorrectly hooked up his 21% bailout as his diluent instead of his trimix and had descended to 208ft. He had some pretty serious issues with narcosis, a ppO2 of 1.7 and team separation issue.

Gus of dive talk had a near miss on the roaring river project as well when he incorrectly hooked up his 21% bailout as his diluent instead of his trimix and had descended to 208ft. He had some pretty serious issues with narcosis, a ppO2 of 1.7 and team separation issue.
He (and Woody) have no business doing these types of dives or on that project

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom