Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the local cave country scuttlebutt someone pointed out Eric's Linkedin page, I don't know how accurate it is because it probably hasn't been updated due to missing full cave.

But you have sidemount, intro cave, and cavern done Nov 2020. And then Air Dil CCR, likely sidewinder in Mar 2021. He appears to have been doing dry caving since at least 2016, probably earlier as he has some undated NSS certs.

There aren't a ton of routine reasons to offboard dil on CCR. ...
Both the Dive Rite Optima CM eCCR and the Triton mCCR, for example, are meant to operate with offboard dil.

rx7diver

Both the Spirit (my CCR) and the Sidewinder have off board dil.

With all the CCRs with off board dil, are their formal procedures for switching/hooking up? Sort of like how I was taught to do the full gas switch procedure for a stage bottle even on the surface.

Gus said in the video addressing this incident that on his Spirit, which he has more dives on, everything hooks up on the left. On his Sidewinder, it’s split between both sides. So he hooked up the bottle with air dil rather than the trimix one, as the air dil was on his left. Trimix was on his right.

Gus said in the video addressing this incident that on his Spirit, which he has more dives on, everything hooks up on the left. On his Sidewinder, it’s split between both sides. So he hooked up the bottle with air dil rather than the trimix one, as the air dil was on his left. Trimix was on his right.
Which is asinine to begin with…

So he hooked up the bottle with air dil rather than the trimix one, as the air dil was on his left.

Why would he be carrying air dil at all?

The whole thing that the SW has over other sidemount CCRs is that you can have truly redundant bailout. Having one filled with air and one filed with trimix doesn't make sense. Last thing you want in an emergency is to go from a mix with an END of less than 100ft to air.

If it is for cost reasons, well he nearly died over a $100 fill. For deco reasons, why not carry a nitrox stage with a QC6 leaving it at 100ft?

The whole thing that the SW has over other sidemount CCRs is that you can have truly redundant bailout. Having one filled with air and one filed with trimix doesn't make sense. Last thing you want in an emergency is to go from a mix with an END of less than 100ft to air.

If it is for cost reasons, well he nearly died over a $100 fill. For deco reasons, why not carry a nitrox stage with a QC6 leaving it at 100ft?
Let’s not mistake Marie13, who is talking about Gus, with Eric please.

No clue. Doubt it’s cost.

Let’s not mistake ..., who is talking about Gus, with Eric please.

I was talking about Gus as well, that is why I said "nearly died" instead of died. We don't know what Eric was using just yet.

But this incident the same season with the same team. So it presents questions about procedures allowed.

Back
Top Bottom