Allentown Newspaper article on Dutch Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie, that's funny because it's usually really hard to piss me off.

Jim, interesting to hear that he started the conversation in a more negative frame than how the eventual article was written. I still think it's rubbish but I guess it could have been worse.

What do you mean by "snow job by some agencies?" That is too cryptic for me.

Kudos for improving the article, but brick bats for suggesting it has risen to the level of acceptable. It has not. It is still full of unsupported and incorrect innuendo about diving and about DS. It is still crap.....perhaps a smaller pile of crap than it started out, but still crap.

Man, I do not even know where to begin about this load of crap. Have you ever been to Dutch Springs? Has the author? I really do not know how to make it safer unless we provided personal EMT teams for each dive buddy and had health screenings at the gate.

I guess my first question is why not chat with some of the local instructors that dive there every weekend and utilize for training?

Next question, why ask questions of some guy that lives over 5 hours away and has only been there once?

The information about the minimum diver age was wrong as well. He could have made it even better if he said 10 yr children were being allowed to dive in a place that has killed several accomplished, male divers..

And no one pointed out the two locations on the lake where there are certified EMT/Paramedics and Divemasters stationed all day. The safety equipment, oxygen kits, AED's and customized rescue vessel. Not to mention the radio communication among the staff, the check in procedure and the vigilance of all of the lake staff.

BTW - another contributor to the article is from Georgia, does he frequent Dutch Springs? I don't know, but I have been told he is no longer a member of the NAUI Board of Directors. Just makes ya wonder how these two were sought out.

Just looks like another just-thumpin, excuse for sensationalism that passes for journalism or calling oneself and author.

Just my 2 cents

For some perspective, the US motor vehicle fatality rate averages about 20 each year per hundred thousand drivers. That's fatalities- the motor vehicle accident injury rate is astronomically greater.

An interesting comparison might have been the number of people killed on the Pennsylvania Turnpike during a specified period, adjusted for the numbers of drivers and divers.

Jeff, I agree. The interview content from the guys with no connection to DS fit the story he wanted to tell better. The one local instructor quoted hit the nail on the head but got less space.

The story fits beautifully with the actual public perception of diving as an extremely hazardous sport. Think about your non-diving friends and family...mine always ask about (what they imagine to be) the dangers of diving. First question, almost every time. The public is if anything overly impressed with the hazards.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jeff, I agree. The interview content from the guys with no connection to DS fit the story he wanted to tell better. The one local instructor quoted hit the nail on the head but got less space.

The story fits beautifully with the actual public perception of diving as an extremely hazardous sport. Think about your non-diving friends and family...mine always ask about (what they imagine to be) the dangers of diving. First question, almost every time. The public is if anything overly impressed with the hazards.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Are there sharks at Dutch? Because everyone I know that doesn't dive wants to know if I've ever seen a shark, and then been bitten by one.

Are there sharks at Dutch? Because everyone I know that doesn't dive wants to know if I've ever seen a shark, and then been bitten by one.

There are whale sharks in May/June, but don't tell anyone. They come up here to relax after diving with RoatanMan. (sorry)
ds

Truly, that is always the first question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom