Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the point you are trying to make?
There were numerous comments in this thread about whether or not OSHA regulations would apply to the diving referenced in this thread.

OSHA doesn't apply to scientific diving. It is specifically granted an exemption as long as they follow AAUS guidelines and apply for it.

But even AAUS standards only apply if you are directly working with an institution. Like I don't believe WKPP or KUR follow AAUS standards They have their own SOP that they follow. And since it isn't a job, OSHA doesn't apply either.

Don't feed the troll. (Brad)

There were numerous comments in this thread about whether or not OSHA regulations would apply to the diving referenced in this thread.
Understood....but that post did not add to any understanding about OSHA...perhaps a bit about AAUS.

Is number of years really a useful metric?

I have met divers with 20 or more years experience. They only had 100-ish dives, in total. All in warm, clear, tropical water. But, they had 20 years experience...
I have been diving for 25 months, and this morning, I am heading out for dive number 302. All cold water, drysuit dives in varying conditions. A couple of boat dives, and shore diving at 12 different sites.

Understood....but that post did not add to any understanding about OSHA...perhaps a bit about AAUS.

Either way since their work product seemed to be aimed toward providing data to the state and not to a team associated with a university I highly doubt they were operating under AAUS guidelines.

But teams that don't normally operate under AAUS guidelines, can do so for certain projects. When the KUR helps out Mote with their Gulf Sinkhole project, they team must receive temporary diver status if they don't already have a permanent AAUS status from Mote or another institution.

Sidewinder is a hell of a tool for some cave dives.
But none of the kiss units look even close to what a safe rebreather would be for new users, and someone who has been cave certified for 2 years is a new user no matter how many dives he had in between.
100% agree, at least in relation to the sidewinder. It is not a first timer's rebreather, yet it is marketed that way and pushed that direction by instructors. Unortunately I believe the sidewinder became popular so fast that everybody wanted to jump on the money train. Discussions on the negatives of the sw by instructors is pretty much unheard of, though some claim they always tell new ccr divers it may not be the best first unit. I have never once seen it done or heard one of their students claim the discussion was had.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Gus's incident is a different topic.

If you wish to discuss this then start a new thread on the subject

I believe that this is a wrong decision. It is looking very likely to be a local SOP, and I think it is appropriate to discuss a near miss that happened under those SOPs.

But we can repost once the report is released and we are able to confirm the speculation that Eric was running a similar deco/bailout and deep dil config? Because those posts make it sound this wasn't a one off thing unique to Gus, but an accepted configuration for the team.

I believe that this is a wrong decision. It is looking very likely to be a local SOP, and I think it is appropriate to discuss a near miss that happened under those SOPs.

But we can repost once the report is released and we are able to confirm the speculation that Eric was running a similar deco/bailout and deep dil config? Because those posts make it sound this wasn't a one off thing unique to Gus, but an accepted configuration for the team.
Teams often make bad group decisions. It is a well-known aspect of group dynamics, and even has a name: The Abilene Paradox.

I've said multiple times that my preferred mix is 30/30.
??? Can someone please explain why TMx30/30 would be a “preferred mix” for anything? For example, it has a 100ft MOD at a pO2 of 1.2ata. So why even the need for 30% He, as the maximum pN2ata (2.8ata) would already be below the 3.2 pN2ata of air at 100ft before adding Helium. Seems like a totally useless gas mix.

I was taught to set your pO2 to 1.0ata at depth. Then set the pN2 to 3.2ata at depth (pN2ata of air at 100 feet). And lastly make the remaining Helium.

For example: 200ft FW. (200ft/33ft)+1ata = 7.1ata total.

(1.0 pO2ata / 7.1ata total) * 100 = 14% O2
(3.2 N2ata / 7.1ata total) * 100 = 45% N2
100% - 14% O2 - 45% N2 = 40% He

Gives you TMx14/40.

What methodology, reasoning, or calculation is behind using TMx30/30 as a preferred Trimix blend for any depth?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom