Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel like we need to split this thread…

I agree, having been going through this thread in its entirety there are several references to Gus's incident and the original post about Eric, as well as Gus replying well into the thread.

However splitting this thread is going to take about an hours work for one of the MODs to complete, and I would suggest that @DiveTalkGus starts a completely new thread about his experience and explain what happened during his incident.

That way there will be no confusion as to which incident is being referred to.

And by the way @DiveTalkGus welcome to ScubaBoard.

Sorry to the admin that is going to have to clean this thread up.
Having air as a bailout gas in a 7l at 60-70m almost guarantees you will not oxtox on it it (seriously, since when is 1.55 pO2 dangerous???), it gives you less than 10 minutes of bottom time at and is breathable from the bottom to the surface which is a lot better than most other standard bailout choices, would be nice to have some helium in it, breathing air while having a hypercapnia episode sucks and it would be nice to have a lot more of it, leaves you with very little safe margins (if any) if you do bailout.
Having it as a diluent is ... not the best idea but as Gus said that was not the plan.
My only problem is that testing out a new setup (trimix on a sidewinder) in a 70m dive, in a cave with restrictions, is not the smartest idea and I'm sure it's not a mistake you will repeat.

Kudos to you for answering in a thread, but it's a bad idea for any public figure to engage in online discourse for obvious reasons.

@Vicko We are all human Gus included and humans make mistakes, you probably do too.

However it takes cojones to admit it at times. If Gus wants to post his experience in a separate thread let's all learn from that too, and remember the TOS in this part of the forum.

What @DiveTalkGus did or didn't do on a totally different dive is unrelated.

Let's focus on the point here a experienced diver died on a dive. Not to sound morbid but I'm interested in what happened purely so the entire dive community can learn from it and hopefully avoid one or more deaths in the future. So let's stick to just actual facts as they are released.

What @DiveTalkGus did or didn't do on a totally different dive is unrelated.

Let's focus on the point here a experienced diver died on a dive. Not to sound morbid but I'm interested in what happened purely so the entire dive community can learn from it and hopefully avoid one or more deaths in the future. So let's stick to just actual facts as they are released.

Its reported that Eric had a dilluiant that was too rich. Which is the same thing that happened to Gus, on the same project, a month prior.

This wasn't a normal tech diving trip, it was under a special scientific permit that had additional protocols to be followed vs a typical cave diving trip.

Between the fatality and the close call, there's no hope of permits being granted to access any of the other controlled caves.
For none other than clarity, is this a fact or just your opinion?

Its reported that Eric had a dilluiant that was too rich. Which is the same thing that happened to Gus, on the same project, a month prior.

This wasn't a normal tech diving trip, it was under a special scientific permit that had additional protocols to be followed, checking/recording tanks/pressures, verifying everyone is diving within the limits certified on their specific RB, etc.
Between the fatality and the close call, there's no hope of permits being granted to access any of the other controlled caves.

Reported or verified.

That’s what the exploration team released to the reporter from initial investigation, unless you think anything they release is suspect.
To the reporter thats been following the team for 2 years.

Its safe to assume that the article is accurate even if the terminology isnt spot on.

Its reported that Eric had a dilluiant that was too rich.

What I read said that it was reported that "too-rich diluent" was SUSPECTED. I didn't see anything that said it had been verified.

If that has been reported as a fact, rather than a suspicion, can you please post a source? An actual link would be great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom