Virginian diver dead at 190 feet - Roaring River State Park, Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get planning a working dive at 190' with no helium. If this article is factual, and I don't know if it is. The guy was just playing Russian roulette and lost.

I think Gus insinuated that the left bottle having no helium is so they could use it for suit inflation. Sounds like it was SOP for this team.

ETA: In addition to the right tanks contents I’d also like to know which cylinder was plugged into the loop?

I think Gus insinuated that the left bottle having no helium is so they could use it for suit inflation. Sounds like it was SOP for this team.
That’s an interesting SOP to me. Is there a reason they can’t mount an inflation bottle? A 6cuft or 13cuft inflation bottle would probably suffice since these weren’t exploration dives.

That’s an interesting SOP to me. Is there a reason they can’t mount an inflation bottle? A 6cuft or 13cuft inflation bottle would probably suffice since these weren’t exploration dives.

I posted a link to a post where the Expedition Leader explained his thinking behind that SOP. But the mods deleted it for being off topic, I wonder if they can restore it because I can't be bothered to spend an hour searching for that post.

The article states that the left bottle was used for diluent

I agree the article makes it sound like the left bottle was plugged in but it only said his BO reg was hooked to the left bottle.

This begs the question, was the right bottle supposed to be plugged in? Was this another case with this group of plugging in the wrong mix?

No. Mounting a 6ft3 aluminum drysuit bottle on a Sidewinder is very easy and commonly done for Trimix cave dives such as Eagle’s Next.

I posted a link to a post where the Expedition Leader explained his thinking behind that SOP. But the mods deleted it for being off topic, I wonder if they can restore it because I can't be bothered to spend an hour searching for that post.
That’s a shame. Seems on-topic now. Would love to read it.

I don't get planning a working dive at 190' with no helium. If this article is factual, and I don't know if it is. The guy was just playing Russian roulette and lost.
There’s an argument for standardizing gases there, especially on these exploration projects.

Back
Top Bottom