VDH wings in stock!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting wings from LA to the Ontario area has been challenging to say the least. Shipping cost was showing around $117.00. So it was cheaper to send from LA to FLA and then FLA to Canada. I'm eating the extra cost and getting them out as soon as they arrive.
Thanks for the update Bryan. I'm not sure if you saw my email (this morning), but your message answers it, I think (although I'm not in Ontario, I am in Canada, so shipping issues are probably very similar).

Ok all. Hope all is good with you. Here are my first impressions with the VDH 35 wing.
First things first. The construction is great. I'm not sure what factory is making these but everything looked strong and well made. Stitching was tight and there were no loose threads.

Second... Diving this was great, even in 10' of water. I guess i didn't really know about horizontal trim using my TrekWing. I got under water and basically didn't do anything and just hung there in perfect-ish trim. I did add 2 weight pockets to the waist strap of the harness and with 3lbs on each side and that seemed just about perfect. I was diving a 100hp.

Third, I was a little worried about the surface flotation but everything was great. With the trim pockets in place I could even lay back and relax on the surface. There was plenty of lift to get my head well out of the water. I don't have a picture of me laying back but you can see how high I floated just vertically.

So, I spent an hour moving around and getting used to the feel of the wing. I can tell it is a totally different animal than my dive rite wing. there was very little drag in the water, noticably less than the trek wing.

I think I am really going to like diving this wing.

I did manage to clean some trash while playing around.

Bryan, if you're reading, thanks allot. I'm glad i waited for your wings to come back in stock. I think it was well worth the wait. Hopefully I'll see cyclone first stages back soon as well:wink:.

I'll update you all after i get back from Venice.

Attachments

• IMG-20220512-WA0004~2.jpg
    IMG-20220512-WA0004~2.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG-20220512-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220512-WA0003.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 86
I keep hitting refresh waiting for the 18lb wings to come in stock. I have the 35lb wing and am looking for it’s partner for traveling.

I'm SOO close to picking up another 23# for the Mrs. for that eventually day that Freedom Plates start being made again and I can grab a small one for her...

My VDH Argonaut 23# Singles Wing arrived earlier today. It seems to be very high quality, and I cannot wait to dive it!

I am especially excited because I finally have a wing I can dive with a short cylinder (e.g., my OMS/Faber LP66 or PST HP80 or a rental Luxfer Al 63). I hope. My Halcyon Pioneer 27# Singles Wing, although perfect for my old-school steel 72, and even works with my PST HP120, is simply too long for a short cylinder.

The plan is to use this new wing with my VDH classic flat plate (and my U.S. Divers DA AM that has been Phoenix-ized) and my OMS LP66 with U.S. Divers J-valve.

I hope to also try my new wing with my SS Freedom Plate (to replace my Pioneer Wing) with my PST 72 with Y-valve and twin Scubapro Mk 10 regs.

Stay tuned ...

rx7diver

Attachments

• Argonaut_Wings_23_20220513.jpeg
    Argonaut_Wings_23_20220513.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 114
My VDH Argonaut 23# Singles Wing arrived earlier today. ...
Today presented a perfect opportunity to test my new VDH Wing: I worked with my daughter in the local university pool, as she was trying out the gear she likely will use on her open water checkout trip that her university scuba course is holding next week.

She likely will wear my Scubapro Classic Black SSJ and 3rd gen AIR 2 (both of which I purchased new ca. 1994), her mom's Scubapro Jet Fins (which she purchased new in 1986), and my newest 1987-era Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable (which I recently was gifted from a longtime friend and dive buddy, and which I serviced here: Servicing your own regulators).

And I wore my VDH gear (1st gen PRAM, double-hose flat plate, and new Argonaut Wing) attached to my old-school PST 72, no wetsuit, and no weights.

My daughter did fine using what will likely be her checkout gear.

And my Argonaut Wing is everything that I had hoped it would be!

rx7diver

Attachments

• Argonaut_Wings_and_Scubapro_SSJ_20220514.jpeg
    Argonaut_Wings_and_Scubapro_SSJ_20220514.jpeg
    119.2 KB · Views: 104
I love my wing. Can't wait to try it out in Venice next week. I'm glad Bryan was able to get these back in production. I love supporting a small US business.

And now there is a new diver in the fam!

rx7diver
Congratulations to your daughter, looks like she got her Advanced Scuba Diver certification. Was that in combination with her Scuba Diver cert? Where did she do all her open water dives, local or travel?

It's great having diving parents. Both my kids got certified at 12. They both still dive with me and my wife. They are now 37 and 32 years old, priceless. Enjoy diving with your daughter :)

Congratulations to your daughter, looks like she got her Advanced Scuba Diver certification. Was that in combination with her Scuba Diver cert? Where did she do all her open water dives, local or travel?

It's great having diving parents. Both my kids got certified at 12. They both still dive with me and my wife. They are now 37 and 32 years old, priceless. Enjoy diving with your daughter :)
@scubadada,

Thank you. Regarding her Advanced C-card, this is the initial card awarded to the certies by the univ scuba course she took. I wrote the following in a Facebook thread a few days ago: "Her course is one of those old-school NAUI/YMCA scuba courses involving sixteen weeks of lecture and pool sessions, with an emphasis on academics (dive physics, dive physiology, and dive-related illnesses), physical fitness (lots of swimming and physical conditioning), skin-diving skills, and stress-coping skills. The first time the students use wet suits, power inflators, safe seconds (i.e., octopus regs or AIR 2's), depth gauges, etc., is when they are gearing up for their open water checkout. The course was originally created as a university PE course. It is a three-credit-hour (undergraduate credit) course. My daughter left a few minutes ago, driving down [from central MO] with fellow students to Bull Shoals Lake AR for her four-day checkout."

This daughter, my eldest, is a college junior, still 20 years old, so I missed that dream of diving with young children. When she and her sisters were very young, we would watch incessantly the segment in the movie "The Living Sea", of the Palau gentleman diving with his own young children. I would tell them that that would be us someday. Missed it by a few years.

My daughter is flying right now to Honduras. Her instructor is running another certification trip for those students who wanted to checkout in Roatan rather than in Bull Shoals AR. Already-certified divers are welcome, too. This trip is courtesy of my daughter's mother. I think it is an early 21st birthday present.

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom