VDH wings in stock!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @rx7diver

I looked up Bull Shoals :)
1653150766552.png

Looks like it was a very good idea for your daughter to get certified locally, now she can enjoy her first post certification dives at a very nice location.

I don't know very much about NAUI. During her 4 days of checkout dives, did she do both the Scuba Diver (4 dives?) and the Advanced Diver (6 dives)? Was she also able to get nitrox? It looks like NAUI requires 2 dives for the nitrox cert, my PADI cert did in 2002.

Better late, than never, enjoy diving with your daughter

Hi @rx7diver

I looked up Bull Shoals :)
View attachment 724023

Looks like it was a very good idea for your daughter to get certified locally, now she can enjoy her first post certification dives at a very nice location.

I don't know very much about NAUI. During her 4 days of checkout dives, did she do both the Scuba Diver (4 dives?) and the Advanced Diver (6 dives)? Was she also able to get nitrox? It looks like NAUI requires 2 dives for the nitrox cert, my PADI cert did in 2002.

Better late, than never, enjoy diving with your daughter
@scubadada,

I don't know all the details of my daughter's certification trip yet. (Turnaround this time was too quick!) I took the same course in 1986 when I was a graduate student. (Actually, her course is taught by someone who was one of my now-retired instructor's assistants.) I do know that our checkouts both began the same way: Drive down on Monday morning, arrive on Monday afternoon, do a proper weight check in full gear, and then complete the "Three Mile Swim" skill in full gear sans regulator that first afternoon, the first checkout skill.

My course ended with a couple of days of "unsupervised" buddy diving, that could commence after the buddies had passed all required checkout skills: Buddy pairs would plan their dives, and dive their plans, but a TA would accompany the pair on anything "advanced." Lots of diving during that week of diving and camping. Lots of submerged rocks and tree stumps and fishing lures and unseen fishing line hung up in submerged trees. :)

rx7diver

I'm thinking about purchasing a 35# VDH wing based on reviews I've read in this thread and others. Will the wing fit the Dive Rite SS XT Lite backplate? I assume it does as the backplate is slotted at the bottom, but any confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yesterday I wore my new Argonaut 23# Singles Wing + VDH Classic Plate + PRAM + OMS (Faber) LP66 for the first time with a wet suit (2/3 O'Neill jumpsuit) in open water. The corrugated hose is too short for me for this gear configuration. Orally inflating the BC at the surface was a bit challenging.

The issue is, when the cylinder is worn low (recommended for improved DH reg performance), the power inflator locates too far up my shoulder. I didn't notice this issue when I wore this gear (sans wetsuit) in the swimming pool. (And in the shallow pool, I actually never attempted to orally inflate when I was vertical, at the surface.)

Earlier today I placed an order for a 19" corrugated hose, the next size up. (Standard size is ~16".) 19" seems ridiculously long, but this seems to me to be what's needed (for me) for this configuration--especially if I were to wear a thicker, two-piece wetsuit.

Has anyone else here had a similar experience, and subsequently ordered the longer corrugated hose? If so, how is the longer hose working for you?

TIA,

rx7diver

P.S. Now I need an oval mask. And a classic two-piece, skin-out, beaver-tail wetsuit.

Yesterday I wore my new Argonaut 23# Singles Wing + VDH Classic Plate + PRAM + OMS (Faber) LP66 for the first time with a wet suit (2/3 O'Neill jumpsuit) in open water. The corrugated hose is too short for me for this gear configuration. Orally inflating the BC at the surface was a bit challenging.

The issue is, when the cylinder is worn low (recommended for improved DH reg performance), the power inflator locates too far up my shoulder. I didn't notice this issue when I wore this gear (sans wetsuit) in the swimming pool. (And in the shallow pool, I actually never attempted to orally inflate when I was vertical, at the surface.)

Earlier today I placed an order for a 19" corrugated hose, the next size up. (Standard size is ~16".) 19" seems ridiculously long, but this seems to me to be what's needed (for me) for this configuration--especially if I were to wear a thicker, two-piece wetsuit.

Has anyone else here had a similar experience, and subsequently ordered the longer corrugated hose? If so, how is the longer hose working for you?

TIA,

rx7diver

P.S. Now I need an oval mask. And a classic two-piece, skin-out, beaver-tail wetsuit.
I had the same experience with the 23# VDH wing on a Freedom Plate. Once I replaced it with the longer hose it was perfect.

TIA,

rx7diver

I went through this same thing. I ordered 35# wing and just found the 16" oval to be too short. I then ordered a 19" and by then VDH had switched over to using the round corrugated hoses. I much prefer the oval hoses, so eventually ordered an oval hose from DGX.

To me / for me it works perfect. I was hesitant but it doesn't feel too long at all. I dive dry in colder water, but have also taken the setup to FL and have never felt like it was too long.

I had the same experience with the 23# VDH wing on a Freedom Plate. Once I replaced it with the longer hose it was perfect.

I went through this same thing. I ordered 35# wing and just found the 16" oval to be too short. I then ordered a 19" and by then VDH had switched over to using the round corrugated hoses. I much prefer the oval hoses, so eventually ordered an oval hose from DGX.

To me / for me it works perfect. I was hesitant but it doesn't feel too long at all. I dive dry in colder water, but have also taken the setup to FL and have never felt like it was too long.

Thanks, @BalekFekete and @rob.mwpropane.

I actually debated purchasing a replacement corrugated hose (from somewhere) that has the common accordion/telescoping function--so that a little additional length could be had simply by pulling gently on the power inflator. (The VDH corrugated hose doesn't "stretch.")

Ultimately, I decided to order the longer VDH hose--mainly because I have never liked the idea of pulling on an inflator hose (since you just might pull apart something!).

Thanks,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom