Servicing your own regulators

Would you take a Manufacturer Approved Class on regulator servicing if offered?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i am working on a scubapro mark V first stage. . There are no shims for the piston. Intermediate pressure is about 150. I would think shims by compressing the spring might increase Intermediate pressure. since IP is about 150 without shim. is this an ok pressure, and if not, how do I chanke the IP?
I have never seen a MK5 with an original spring and SP conical seat test at 150 PSI without any shims. Mine are always on the low side, so I end up using the + seats. Assuming you are using actual SP conical seats, try the one that has = on the back of the seat; it would be the tallest of the three included. If at that point your IP is still that high, with no creep (meaning the piston edge is in good shape) then the only solution is to get a new spring. I have read that sometimes the springs stiffen up over time and as such, can cause high IP, but my experience with the 20 or so I've worked on over the years has been the opposite; as the springs age, they tend to compress a bit or lose some strength.

Edit: Looks like you solved the problem. I should have read the entire thread before posting.

I have read that sometimes the springs stiffen up over time and as such, can cause high IP, but my experience with the 20 or so I've worked on over the years has been the opposite; as the springs age, they tend to compress a bit or lose some strength.
Same here.

and he didn't because of an assembly error... which we found and fixed!

He is happily now at 130+/- w/o shims....

Anyone have a source for LP seats in Sherwood Blizzard Pro and Sherwood Octo? I have a Sherwood Service Tech certificate but no longer work for an LDS. These are my personal reg's and I'd be happy to buy a half dozen if I could find them.

Anyone have a source for LP seats in Sherwood Blizzard Pro
@jmcgilroy Yes, I have a few. Sherwood part number SHV7030 (looks like a top hat or rivet) PM me if interested. I'll also throw in a few of my DIY puck seats if you need any.

how do you make the puck seats?
and is there a differece between blue and brown ones?
mk

Just stopped by to share a successful service I just completed. My friend stored away his Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjusable several (ten?) years ago. He had done a salt water dive trip and rinsed his reg in the rinse bucket there, and then stored away his reg upon his return home, without having completed a proper, thorough cleaning.

This reg is the same type and vintage as my first reg (purchased new in 1987)--which I still use.

Anyway, it's running again! Could stand some more TLC, but it's purring.

rx7diver

Scubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220331.jpeg
Scubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220402a.jpeg
Scubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220403a.jpeg
Scubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220403b.jpeg
Scubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220331.jpegScubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220402a.jpegScubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220403a.jpegScubapro_Mk10_Bal_Adj_20220403b.jpeg

thank you. will check. yes,

i have seen them in blue color also in brown. didn't know if there is a difference.

yes talking about 2nd stage LP seats for poppets. non balanced regulators. mk

@jmcgilroy Yes, I have a few.
Couv,
Thank you for this. Most of all, my sanity has been restored. I won't go into the specifics, but after dealing with LeisurePro (now Scuba.com) and Sherwood and my LDS...well...let's just say that it shouldn't be that difficult for a factory-trained reg. tech to get a couple of LP seats. Frustrating. It seems to be the norm that getting to the word "yes" involves placing as many stumbling blocks in front of the customer as possible. The word "no" comes easily.

I'm thankful for people like you in our dive community and will pass on your generosity.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom