Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If one is only rebuilding his personal regulators (4 or less) I say forget about using an ultrasonic cleaner. One of my hobbies is rebuilding regulators so, yes I have a couple of US cleaners (Branson) and yes they are helpful; but learning to mix and use an acid bath (plus a little more-but not much elbow grease) is every bit as effective as an US cleaner.

However, to the OP's question: if you are bound and determined to get a US cleaner, I can recommend Branson. I bought two used on eBay and after a couple of years of moderate use are still going strong.

I would love to get me a Branson from Ebay but always worried I'm getting a fake or modded item? Recommendations?

Recommendations?

As far as sellers or model? For model, if you're servicing a lot of regulators-the bigger the better. Re sellers, make sure they guarantee the item. I just did a quick search and the prices are frightening. Also, too many listed, "as is" ...sorry.

Edit: I just did another search of "sold" Branson US cleaners and there have been a few nice sized ones sold for less than $200-so keep an eye out for one that is sized to fit your needs, is guaranteed, and the seller has good feedback.

But again, a proper acid bath is every bit as effective.

I would love a Branson or other high quality machine but buying up old double hose regulators keeps the budget limited. I went with the Harbor Freight (2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner) and have been pleased so far. It heats the water and buzzes. The heater function really works well. It seems to work well. It's been years since I worked with a quality ultrasonic cleaner though so I really can't compare the difference.

If you go this route, pay for the extra replacement insurance and just return it for another one when it fails, which it probably will. That being said mine is still going strong after a couple years and multiple regulator/gun/engine part rebuilds. I'v been pleased so far but my experience may not be the same as others with this machine. Consistency with Harbor Freight tools is always hit and miss.

Good luck.

Since I have been servicing 250 - 300 regulators a year, it never crossed my mind to try a cheap cleaner. For more than ten years I worked with my L&R Quantex Ultrasonic Cleaner without any problem and have been very happy with it.
Back now in Europe I got me an Emag (3l) for around 170,- Euros, which in contrast to my Quantrex has a very nice extra feature.
I can adjust the power to either 50%- 75% or 100%.
Working mostly now on vintage regs, I use now often only the 50% or 75% power adjustment and it really helps to avoid unintended damages on the chrome layers.........

Since I have been servicing 250 - 300 regulators a year, it never crossed my mind to try a cheap cleaner. For more than ten years I worked with my L&R Quantex Ultrasonic Cleaner without any problem and have been very happy with it.
Back now in Europe I got me an Emag (3l) for around 170,- Euros, which in contrast to my Quantrex has a very nice extra feature.
I can adjust the power to either 50%- 75% or 100%.
Working mostly now on vintage regs, I use now often only the 50% or 75% power adjustment and it really helps to avoid unintended damages on the chrome layers.........

Where can one find ultrasonic cleaners in Europe please? I am in Libya and I can't get any here.

As far as sellers or model? For model, if you're servicing a lot of regulators-the bigger the better. Re sellers, make sure they guarantee the item. I just did a quick search and the prices are frightening. Also, too many listed, "as is" ...sorry.

Edit: I just did another search of "sold" Branson US cleaners and there have been a few nice sized ones sold for less than $200-so keep an eye out for one that is sized to fit your needs, is guaranteed, and the seller has good feedback.

But again, a proper acid bath is every bit as effective.

I might just try putting my regs in an acid bath. What's the process for giving your regulators an acid bath?

Get a big Pyrex measuring cup. Half water, half white vinegar. Throw it in the microwave until it's hot to the touch but you can still touch it. Throw in your metal bits after you've done the toothbrush thing with warm detergent.

Put critical stuff like knife edge pistons in a medicine bottle with holes drilled in it to protect them from getting nicked.

Come back in 15 minutes. Throw it all in a container with a tablespoon of baking soda dissolved in warm water to neutralize the acid.
Rinse well.

Toothbrush and detergent again as needed.
Be amazed.

We can talk about Amazon food grade phosphoric acid next.

I might just try putting my regs in an acid bath. What's the process for giving your regulators an acid bath?

;-) Just after I posted that statement, I became afraid someone would ask the very question you have. .....edit: never mind. I see the Good Doctor @rsingler has beat me to it.

One time saving item: Make a colander out of a plastic container so you can quickly go from one bath to the next. As rsingler says, after the initial cleaning you'll have to: Acid bath-->neutralize-->rinse. Using multiple tubs and a colander will save time and keep things organized.

Back
Top Bottom