• Welcome to ScubaBoard


  1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

    Benefits of registering include

    • Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

    Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Ultrasonic cleaner recommendations

Discussion in 'Repairing your own Gear' started by flymolo, Apr 7, 2021.

  1. grf88

    grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Markham, Ontario
    2,364
    2,131
    If you are unsure just how well your ultrasonic cleaner is working you can do a simple test with aluminum foil.
     
    TTPaws and greeniguana like this.
  2. grf88

    grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Markham, Ontario
    2,364
    2,131
    Looks like we both posted at exactly the same time.
     
    couv likes this.
  3. grf88

    grf88 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

    # of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Location: Markham, Ontario
    2,364
    2,131
    One thing to be aware of is that you should always use the basket to suspend items especially if you are using other containers within the cleaner as they are designed to vibrate liquids and not solids. This is especially true with cheaper units as items resting directly on the bottom can overload the transducers. My cheap import has been working for 7 years with no problems but if you are using one daily then you probably should pay for a good one. .
     
  4. sh1513

    sh1513 Contributor

    # of Dives: 25 - 49
    Location: Birmingham, UK
    71
    31
    Just my personal opinion, but no acid of whatever type belongs anywhere near scuba equipment.

    The only liquid I use that contains anything that could be called acidic, is a weak citrus based degreaser.
     
  5. lowwall

    lowwall Contributor

    # of Dives: 200 - 499
    Location: Chicago
    2,040
    2,220
    The acid is used in regulator servicing, not regular cleaning. A normal part of the service is, after disassembly, to soak only the metal parts in a mildly acidic solution. This is necessary to remove salts, scale and surface corrosion.
     
  6. sh1513

    sh1513 Contributor

    # of Dives: 25 - 49
    Location: Birmingham, UK
    71
    31
    I am fully aware of what and how it is used, I am a service tech, I said it was my opinion that acid should not be used.

    There's other non-acidic solutions that will do the job.
     
  7. happy-diver

    happy-diver Skindiver Just feelin it

    # of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Location: Same ocean as you!
    2,454
    1,704
    Yes chemical free chemicals, that don't chemical, paint that falls off in the wind
    markers that become invisible, water soluable Gilligan glue for boats and diving

    If you can stay in the same room when it is open do not use it it is just no good!

    Bring back lead, babies eating it made them strong and it made divers stronger
     
  8. rob.mwpropane

    rob.mwpropane Contributor

    1,785
    1,120
    5 min in a U/S cleaner with 50/50 is (as far as I know) the staple. I believe you can even take it down a notch and do 75/25.

    You are talking about vinegar....right? The same stuff we let kids dye Easter eggs with? It's about as mild an acid you can get.
     
    RyanT likes this.
  9. sh1513

    sh1513 Contributor

    # of Dives: 25 - 49
    Location: Birmingham, UK
    71
    31
    Look! Did I say anywhere that it was wrong???

    No I didn't, I said it was my opinion, I don't use acid based products, I use Biox, it ain't cheap but it does a very very good job.
    Welcome to Biox Ltd Website - The future of Environmental Cleaning
     
  10. rob.mwpropane

    rob.mwpropane Contributor

    1,785
    1,120
    You implied it;

    I just don't get it.... I can "borrow" enough vinegar from my wife and don't have to order anything or even leave my house, it's ~ $1 for a whole gallon and a mild mix cleans everything up. I get that prolonged exposure could do some cosmetic harm, but I believe the worst that could happen is you take the finish off the brass....which isn't the end of the world?

    Why spend more $ on something and go through all the trouble for the same outcome? Set a kitchen timer for 5 min, if not 100% satisfied, give it another 5 min and be done.

    I'm fine with the way you do things, I don't care. Plenty of ways to skin a cat.
     

Share This Page