TSA and carry-on gear while traveling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DvrRick

Contributor
Reaction score
I remember there being a thread about regulators being allowed as carry-on baggage but I cannot seem to find it. I want to print out the TSA guidelines allowing me to bring my reg and octo setup onboard with me when I go to Hawaii this weekend. Does anyone know where that link is? Thanks.

DvrRick:
I remember there being a thread about regulators being allowed as carry-on baggage but I cannot seem to find it. I want to print out the TSA guidelines allowing me to bring my reg and octo setup onboard with me when I go to Hawaii this weekend. Does anyone know where that link is? Thanks.
What would be the problem with a reg and octo? The only problem with ANY SCUBA gear is tanks. Tanks must have the valve stem removed for visual inspection. That's it. Otherwise there are NO restrictions on SCUBA gear (except your dive knife... don't try to carry that on)

I carried mine in my carry-on, flying to Miami, the weekend before last. I also had my underwater camera, my cellphone, cellphone charger, and camera charger in the bag. When I sent the bag through, they didn't even slow down. No problem at all.

Fish_Whisperer:
I carried mine in my carry-on, flying to Miami, the weekend before last. I also had my underwater camera, my cellphone, cellphone charger, and camera charger in the bag. When I sent the bag through, they didn't even slow down. No problem at all.
The only items that you MUST remove from your carry on before x-ray are laptop computers and video cameras. Digital Cameras / UW cameras are fine.

FWIW - I fly AT LEAST once a month, if not more...

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1190.xml

Here is the link. I agree and think its a nice thing to print off and take if you are flying out of a place that doesn't usually see SCUBA. As soon as the hunk of metal shows up on their computers they always ask "Whose bag is this?" in an evil way. I've never had a problem but it gets pulled and checked every single time. Not all TSA employees are knowledgeable and I'd hate to get told I had to check it.

Miranda

I've never had any problems ... I get bugged when they don't follow up with a hand search of my carry-on bag. Between the reg, octo, computer, cell phone, Palm, iPod, and chargers, I've got so much stuff in my carry-on that they could not possible be sure what it is just from an x-ray. (Nor could they be sure there is no knife on the rig.) I figure that if they don't check me, they won't be checking others. I don't worry about me, I'm clean. But, I worry about everyone else. I like the more thorough check.

cinder4320:
I agree and think its a nice thing to print off and take if you are flying out of a place that doesn't usually see SCUBA. As soon as the hunk of metal shows up on their computers they always ask "Whose bag is this?" in an evil way. I've never had a problem but it gets pulled and checked every single time. Not all TSA employees are knowledgeable and I'd hate to get told I had to check it.

Actually, I've had MORE problems at Honolulu Airport in regards to scuba gear, than at airports that don't see a lot of scuba divers (LAX, Seattle) as a percentage of flyers.

I've told this story before, but when I visited Honolulu last year after spending 4 days on Maui, on my way back to LA the TSA screens asked to inspect my carry-on after it went through x-ray. I told her it was my scuba regulator and computer set, and she pulled it out. She then inspected the bag itself, but in one of those "Huh?" moments she SENT THE ENTIRE THING TO BE X-RAYED AGAIN!!! She just personally looked through it, what was she expecting to find on a second x-ray?

OTOH the TSA screeners at LAX and Seattle never gave my scuba gear a second thought. I'll find out in a few weeks if the ones at Ft Lauderdale will either be like LAX or like HNL.

I fly at least 2-3x a week and the TSA actually is now starting to be sensible and not as anal about shoes and other stuff.

I have have flown with a pelican case with my can light w/charger, camera, reg, dive computer, etc. Usually the stuff passed through the x-ray no problem. Sometimes the can light battery gets scrutiny. Once a screener asked me if the can was a scuba tank.

I would carry a printed copy of the TSA rules regarding scuba gear in case you run across a TSA Nazi out there.

If I am diving in the US, I ship my scuba gear via FedEx. That way I can lock it up and ship it early enough and track that I know it is at my destination even before I leave. My employer is one of FedEx's top 10 customers (we get a 60% discount), so I can 2 day ship 100 lbs of dive gear for like $130. Even without a discount, it is worth the peace of mind since the airline could lose your luggage or some screener or airport employee can easily steal your stuff since you can't lock your luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom