Diving with full gear -tanks in carry-on tips.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there an airport anywhere that doesn’t charge a departure fee? (and all sorts of other fees and taxes.) It’s often rolled into the ticket price where you don’t see it, and in theory is what helps pays for the airport facilities you’re using. Way different than the Mexican shakedown nonsense.
I looked at some airline tickets and a similar amount is mentioned as one of the costs incorporated in the price. So it is mentioned, but not charged as an extra. Which is fine.

Well known Mexican shake down. They claim you are a professional if the gear looks more than a ratty tourist level stuff. They do it because they can get away with it and it makes them money.
When would this shakedown take place, I'll be flying from Vancouver,BC straight to SJC and then taxi to boat, and right out to sea...Is there a second customs control similar to Hawaii/Maui for agricultural stuff(read camera shakedowns) or how does that work?

Don't have too fancy stuff but was planning on bringing housing and camera+light

++ Also Air canada does not have a weight limit on carry on, which is one of the reasons I picked them, as I think I should be able to put suit snug in with backplate+wing. But again first time traveling with this gear so trying to understand what I am up against

Get a round type 20 l drybag, stuff all your dive gear in that, attach it to the backplate with the tank straps, strap you fins to the outside of that and wear it on the plane.

I bought the Thule Chasm 40L bag after much research, it's the largest most durable one I could find that can swallow larger items, yet seem flexible. Fins will mostly go outside, plate should be able to fit inside with straps+suit.

If I need I thought I can even wear several board-shorts under my sweats, 2 tshirts, hoodie and windjacket, with that I only need to pack underwear.

Update! The Thule bag did not work, old dry bag did not work so stuffed backplate+wing, 5mm wetsuit, hood, boots, clothes in a old Patagonia bag, fins sticking out but worst case I’ll put them on and wear them on the plane if they cause any problems.

Second smaller camera bag with computer, reg, some snacks, books, camera. It will be an interesting conversation tomorrow, but I am not loosing the bag on a connection flight again.
A1332B0D-4F3D-4DA6-AC0A-8E06B98210B1.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom