Trip Report Anilao/Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

very cool reports Bill! 85degree water?? Wow! I am so excited I'm gonna be there again July12th! In March my divemaster cut short many of the dives coz he got 'cold'! that shouldn't happen this next time :D

Thanks, I'm glad you are liking it so far. I still have a lot of material to dig through :)) March I was diving in a drysuit here in Japan :wink: The week before I went to the Philippines I made my first wetsuit dive in six months (I went on a dive trip to Guam in December). Water temp was 64F :D I guess its all what you're used too.... I think most of my friends in the dive club are jealous of me :wink: They're all talking about diving in the Philippines this year now :)

Have fun... it will probably be at least six months before I make it back down.

Great report and pics Bill!:coffee: Ahhh... How I wish I was there right now... :(:(:( i miss the diving, but mostly my friends over there!!!!:popcorn:

No worries about time... Just keep em comming like that! Their great reading!

Because he works with University of the Philippines on some of their projects. Scientific collection, not for commercial purposes or anything like that.

I should have added that I just received a book, "Nudibranch Behavior" by David W. Behrens. I ordered it just before my trip. On the acknowledgements page Peri along with Boy Venus and Club Ocellaris are thanked for "contributing [ed] significantly to our successful photographic endeavors". The people at Club Ocellaris work closely with many people in the academic and scientific community not to mention many photographers. They wouldn't just go around and "collect" :)

...ermmm not from MSI nope. we don't have nudibranch research here. :bouncesbl

Mr. Boy Venus is actually keen on employing marine scientists for Club Ocellaris as guides :idea: We applied for such a post but we got too busy to follow up.

...ermmm not from MSI nope. we don't have nudibranch research here. :bouncesbl

Mr. Boy Venus is actually keen on employing marine scientists for Club Ocellaris as guides :idea: We applied for such a post but we got too busy to follow up.

Ahh well, my memory failed me on that one :11: I was sure he said University of the Philippines :D I'll send him an email and get him to jog my memory :) He didn't actually collect anything while I was there. Never came across what they were looking for. Bottom line is that he's not doing anything for commercial purposes. It's my error on the name of the institution. When I hear back, I'll post it here in this thread :)

It doesn't surprise me that Boy Venus is trying to recruit marine scientists. Their specialty I was told is underwater photographers. I could see the advantages to having someone with that level of training. It was quite fascinating sitting there listening to Peri and Roger spitting out all the latin names :14:

My first dive the morning of the 4th was at Aphol's Rock. Aphol's Rock is about a 30-40 minute boat ride from the resort. A huge rock formation here reached up towards the surface. Covered in corals, sponges, and crinoids. Of course there was lots of marine life as well :D

Right at the beginning of the dive Peri pointed out a Blue-Ribbon Eel. There was the usual assortment of anthias, wrasses, and damselfish. Lot's of anemone's. Filefish, grouper, a really nice turkeyfish (lionfish), and another nudibranch to add to my growing collection.

This was another great dive. Visibility was 60-70 feet. Water temp was 86F. My maximum depth on this dive was 84 feet, but like most of the dives in Anilao, I could have just continued down the slope much deeper. My average depth ended up being 45 feet.

Peri signaled me and pointed out a banded sea snake. and got a few shots as it hunted along the rock and coral face and a couple more as it headed for the surface for a breath. I went back to searching for subjects for my camera. Not long after Peri pointed and I saw the sea snake below me headed down. Peri told me when we were back on the boat that the snake had passed right by my head only inches from my ear!

To be continued....

Attachments

• Anilao Aphol's Rock Banded Sea Snake Laticauda colubrina2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Banded Sea Snake Laticauda colubrina2 Medium Web view.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Blacktip Grouper Epinephelus fasciatus2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Blacktip Grouper Epinephelus fasciatus2 Medium Web view.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 44
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Blue Ribbon Eel Rhinomuraena quaesita Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Blue Ribbon Eel Rhinomuraena quaesita Medium Web view.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Eastern Skunk Anemonefish Amphiprion sandaracinos2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Eastern Skunk Anemonefish Amphiprion sandaracinos2 Medium Web view.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Filefish2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Filefish2 Medium Web view.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Risbecia tryoni Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Risbecia tryoni Medium Web view.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Semcircle Angelfish Pomacanthus semicirculatus Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Semcircle Angelfish Pomacanthus semicirculatus Medium Web view.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Turkeyfish Pterois volitans2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Turkeyfish Pterois volitans2 Medium Web view.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Damselfish Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Damselfish Medium Web view.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Peri3 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Peri3 Medium Web view.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Wrasse Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Wrasse Medium Web view.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Damselfish2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Damselfish2 Medium Web view.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Barrel Sponge Xestospongia testudinaria Crinoids Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Barrel Sponge Xestospongia testudinaria Crinoids Medium Web view.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Anthias Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Anthias Medium Web view.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 31
  • Anilao Aphol's Rock Anthias2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Aphol's Rock Anthias2 Medium Web view.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 49
is it warm enough now in the PI for just a rash shirt and shorts?

Of course....many times we dive with what we have on at the time. The water temp is pretty constant throughout the year......sometimes it goes down to 24 degrees....normal range is 26 to 31

Bill when will you get to PG?....thinking of going to Sogod Bay but I still may go to PG and stay at the Atlantis.

Bill when will you get to PG?....thinking of going to Sogod Bay but I still may go to PG and stay at the Atlantis.

Sorry, just been busy with work and other things (I do have another life :wink:).... the photos are the hold-up. I'm using two different software programs so my work flow can be time consuming. This trip report when it's finished will probably have at least a couple 100 photos attached to it.

On top of everything else that's going I'm starting my Divemaster program this week. I'm thinking about just doing the written portion and posting photos later.

Any specific questions about PG, just PM me.

Bill when will we see the PG report? I am going to make a decision next week on either Sogod or PG....your report will help....Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom