Trip Report Anilao/Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bill....So is this where you are hanging out now? Have not seen you on ST in awhile.

Excellent Report. I finally made a decision to go to the Philippines next year. I am planning on spending about 5 days diving in Puerto Galera next March then head over to Palau....I am anxious to read your Puerto Galera part of the trip. How far is Anilao from Puerto Galera?

You still have not been to Palau yet have you?....next March....think about it!

Hi Scott... good to hear from you :) How have you been?

Puerto Galera is just across the Verde Passage. Maybe 1 1/2 hours by ferry (depending on ferry). It took me about an 1 1/2 to get to Batangas from Anilao, but that was by trike and jeepney. I think it could be done faster if you hired a car to take you. So figure about 3-4 hours, if you hit the schedule right. I was lucky as I walked right onto a ferry at Batangas that was getting ready to depart.

4-5 days are probably about right for PG if you are with the right shop and you do at least 4 dives a day. Anilao, would take longer.

I'll think about Palau :) I still haven't dived everywhere I want to in the Philippines yet :wink:

I'll continue with the report when I get home tonight. I've got I think 14 more dive sites in Anilao to cover before I start on PG. The report will be re-posted on ST and a few other places, once I'm finished with it :)

Bill...Thanks for the info....Been doing great leaving for Little Cayman in a couple of days. Missed my annual trip to Palau this year and went to Layang Layang....Malaysia is a great country....But the diving...well I had better dives in Coz.

I'll look forward to your report on PG. My friend/DM Keith who I have dove with in Palau for years is possibly opening a shop in PG so I should get the royal treatment.

My first morning I was up at 7AM. After a quick shower, I went down to a hot breakfast. The food was always good. Eggs, in the morning, bacon, ham, rice, juice. You also had your choice of coffee, tea, hot chocolate if you liked. Fresh fruit in the morning, mangoes, watermelon, the food was one of the things I would really miss about Club Ocellaris.

This was the usual pattern for the week. Up early for breakfast and then we would try to be on our way to the dive site by 8-8:30 AM depending on what site we were going too.

We had decided the night before to take a lunch and head down to Caban Island and do three dives before coming back in the afternoon. We would dive Bethlehem, Kirbys Rock and Dari Laut which were all fairly close together and then come back to the resort for a long break before the night dive.

I ended up doing 2 morning dives at Bethlehem during my time in Anilao. One on the 2nd and another on the 3rd. Bethelehem was only about a 30 minute boat ride from the resort and is on the southern end of Caban Island across the Maricaban Strait. There was a small cove there where we could anchor in shallow water, about 15 feet deep. It was a fairly steep slope with plenty of hard and soft corals, crinoids, sponges, etc... down to around 50 feet where it became more of a sand and coral rubble bottom. Lots of color here :) Here and there you could there were outcropping of coral including one with a huge barrel on it. Visibility was 60-70 feet both days.

The first dive we were in the water and the dive started at 8:32 AM. I was out at 9:31 for a 59 minute dive. My maximum depth was 56 feet. Some nice nudibranchs, an interesting flatworm of a species I had never seen, clouds of fish, anthias, basslets, cardinalfish, some nice anemones and clownfish, puffers, juvenile striped catfish, and a white-eyed moray. A very nice dive :) When Roger came on he said he had seen a nice ornate ghost pipefish and we made plans to come back the next day to see if we could find it again.

My second dive the following day was more of the same, but this time there was a fairly strong current. Was in the water at 8:27AM, but with the current, burned through my air pretty quick and was done at 9:08 for only 41 minutes. Still it was a nice dive. Another white-eyed moray (may have been the same one, although it was a totally different location) more reef fish, and more nudi's, basically a repeat of the previous day, with the exception of the ornate ghost pipefish, which we did end up finding :)

On my first full dive day there on the 2nd we dived at Kirbys Rock after Bethlehem. We went over and anchored and waited for the slack as the current was running strong when we got there. It's important for this entire area to have someone who is experienced in the local diving conditions who understands the currents and the tides.

Kirbys Rock is off the northeast side of Caban Island. On the shore side it's about 15 feet deep. On the other side it drops down as a wall to a depth around 70 feet and then more gradually bottoms out over a 100 feet down. Lots of corals here, sea stars, crinoids, sea cucumbers, and nudibranchs. I saw a few lionfish, and Peri found a nice ghost pipefish. There were reef fish everywhere... all and all a very nice dive. We were in the water at 11:41AM just in time for the slack. My maximum depth was 92 feet and my dive time was 49 minutes. Visibility was easily 75 feet plus.

To be continued.....

Attachments

• Anilao Bethlehem Anthias Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Bethlehem Anthias Medium Web view.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Anilao Bethlehem Anthias2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Bethlehem Anthias2 Medium Web view.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Anilao Bethlehem Chromodoris Annae Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Bethlehem Chromodoris Annae Medium Web view.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Anilao Bethlehem Juvenile Striped Catfish Plotosus lineatus Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Bethlehem Juvenile Striped Catfish Plotosus lineatus Medium Web view.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Anilao Bethlehem Nudibranch Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Bethlehem Nudibranch Medium Web view.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Anilao Bethlehem Ornate Ghost Pipefish Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Bethlehem Ornate Ghost Pipefish Medium Web view.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Anilao Kirbys Rock Chromodoris bullocki2 Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Kirbys Rock Chromodoris bullocki2 Medium Web view.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Anilao Kirbys Rock Chromodoris magnifica Medium Web view.jpg
    Anilao Kirbys Rock Chromodoris magnifica Medium Web view.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 50
Bill,

Was curious to they limit your times on dives or do you come up when you get to 500 psi?

I am curious......do you make notes while you are on trips? How do you remember all of that?

Bill,

Was curious to they limit your times on dives or do you come up when you get to 500 psi?

No there were no limits or restrictions placed on me. Dive time depended on my air consumption, which like everyone else is affected by depth and physical effort. I told them when I was low on air and was ready to go back. My longest dive of the trip was 97 minutes, but we only went to 64 feet on that dive with an average depth of 31 feet. :)

I am curious......do you make notes while you are on trips? How do you remember all of that?

Hi JD,

I make notes as I go. I have my dive log and of course I've taken a lot of photos :wink: Things I haven't written down, I can look at the photos to jog my memory. For background information and material, I go to the internet, or books that I have. And the rest I do from memory :D If I know I can find the information later, I don't worry to much about writing it down then. That's why I was irritated at myself for not thinking to write the menu down as I went, because it occured to me just before I left Anilao that as great as the food was at Club Ocellaris, people may have been interested in a more detailed menu :)

I'm writing for us of course, but I'm also writing for people who have never been to the Philippines. That is why I include so much additional material. As I recall, you are American also? I'd be interested to hear some time how you ended up in the Philippines, especially since I'm thinking to retire there :) You know that everyone researches everything on the internet these days. You have a webpage for your own dive resort. That was a great idea on your part to put the site up before the resort is even open so people who are planning future trips can include your resort as a possible destination :)

I had never really heard about the Philippines as a dive destination or thought much about it until last year. I've always been blown away by how great the diving is everywhere that I go there. I'm sure that you would agree with me that promoting diving in the Philippines is a great thing to do? I'm a member of several other diving related internet forums. When this report is finished, it will be re-posted on all those other forums. In that way we will reach literally thousands of people who are divers and I hope that in some small way, my reports will get them thinking about diving in the Philippines :)

You may have noticed that a guy posted on my Malapascua report that he and his (then) fiancee actually chose Malapascua for their honeymoon based on my report. He posted that they had a great time and are both now certified scuba divers :) These are the people that we are writing for :) The more information that we can provide for them to make a choice, the better, because you and I both know that the Philippines does have some of the best diving in the world! :)

Hi JD,

I make notes as I go. I have my dive log and of course I've taken a lot of photos :wink: Things I haven't written down, I can look at the photos to jog my memory. For background information and material, I go to the internet, or books that I have. And the rest I do from memory :D If I know I can find the information later, I don't worry to much about writing it down then. That's why I was irritated at myself for not thinking to write the menu down as I went, because it occured to me just before I left Anilao that as great as the food was at Club Ocellaris, people may have been interested in a more detailed menu :)

I'm writing for us of course, but I'm also writing for people who have never been to the Philippines. That is why I include so much additional material. As I recall, you are American also? I'd be interested to hear some time how you ended up in the Philippines, especially since I'm thinking to retire there :) You know that everyone researches everything on the internet these days. You have a webpage for your own dive resort. That was a great idea on your part to put the site up before the resort is even open so people who are planning future trips can include your resort as a possible destination :)

I had never really heard about the Philippines as a dive destination or thought much about it until last year. I've always been blown away by how great the diving is everywhere that I go there. I'm sure that you would agree with me that promoting diving in the Philippines is a great thing to do? I'm a member of several other diving related internet forums. When this report is finished, it will be re-posted on all those other forums. In that way we will reach literally thousands of people who are divers and I hope that in some small way, my reports will get them thinking about diving in the Philippines :)

You may have noticed that a guy posted on my Malapascua report that he and his (then) fiancee actually chose Malapascua for their honeymoon based on my report. He posted that they had a great time and are both now certified scuba divers :) These are the people that we are writing for :) The more information that we can provide for them to make a choice, the better, because you and I both know that the Philippines does have some of the best diving in the world! :)

Well said!

Mabuhay po kayo!

Maraming Salamat!!!:D

This dive report is getting better and better .......:fruit:

Thanks! :) Sorry, it's taking so long (I know I've been back a whole week now :11:), the main sticking point right now is the photos which I feel are an important part of the report. There are so many it takes time to go through. I can only work on those at home.

I can post some during the day from work when I'm not busy, but I can't work on the photos here. I do have to spend about 45-50 hours a week at work and this last weekend, I worked Sunday also. I have other personal demands put on me also, among them my responsibilities as president of our dive club. We're taking out our bank tanks now for hydro and anyone who is familiar with that knows its a job ;-)

The work flow right now is to do the photos first and then write that section of the report. Most of the additional info about Club Ocellaris and Anilao has been written, so it's mainly the dive sites that are left. I had planned on doing 3-4 dive sites at a time. I may change that so that I can get the material here quicker.

My previous report on Malapascua, went faster (at least the first section), because a lot of it was already written and photos already done before it got posted here on scubaboard (it was first posted on the ST forum). This time it's being posted here first before being posted at the other forums that I'm a member of :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom