Trip Report Anilao/Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice trip report eh.

by chapters.... keep the suspense....

hehehehhe.... lucky no weather disturbance during your stay.

nice trip report eh.

by chapters.... keep the suspense....

hehehehhe.... lucky no weather disturbance during your stay.

I have to do the trip report in chapters, because it's to much material to put out all at once :wink:. Plus it takes time to go through the photo editing process.

I also try to keep in mind that many people who will read my reports have never been to the Philippines and may be asking themselves, "Why" they should come there to dive? I try to answer that question for them :)

Yes I was very lucky with the weather :D

thanks for the nice trip report. glad you had a nice time.

the weather's been nice since June. the underwater visibility around anilao is still very nice.

do come back another time!

Good stuff Bill. :D

Just a couple of hijacks.:shakehead:

On the way in Peri mentioned that Roger Steene was staying at the resort. For those who perhaps don’t know, Roger Steene is a world famous underwater photographer from Australia. People like Stan Waterman have referred to Roger as being the best underwater macro photographer in the world. He has 11 books. His coffee table books Coral Reefs-Natures Richest Realm (1990) and Coral Seas (1999) are perhaps his two best know works. His Coral Reefs books have sold over a 100,000 copies. I recognized the name immediately as Reef Fish Identification-Tropical Pacific which he is a co-author of, is a book I have myself.

When we got back to the resort, I went up grabbed a quick shower and then went down for dinner. There I met Roger who turned out to be a very down to earth guy who had no end of stories to tell. Here is a guy who has been diving since the 50’s. He’s dived all over the world. Any place I could think of, he could tell me about the diving there. He was also very free with helping my with my own photography and offering advice. One of the nicest guys you could want to meet.

The conversation at dinner every night was very enjoyable for me. It was nice to sit and discuss photography, often going into technical details I hadn’t thought about in years since leaving photography behind in 2001. Roger and Peri both had great stories to tell. Roger said in his opinion that Anilao had some of the best diving in the world. He comes every year there to work for three to four weeks. Coming from someone who had dived pretty much everywhere, I think that carries some weight! Not that other places weren’t worth diving, but for sheer diversity, there was no other place like it!

Pretty awesome you were able to meet AND dive with him Bill. :) You need to post more pics when you can! :)

Pretty awesome you were able to meet AND dive with him Bill. :) You need to post more pics when you can! :)

I just posted a photo of the three of us over on facebook last night. I've got a dive club meeting tonight and we may go do a night dive after, depending on conditions. I should have the next installment of the trip report ready no later than tomorrow.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off-topic posts concerning current weather conditions in other regions have been removed. Please stay on topic with your responses.

Hi Bill....So is this where you are hanging out now? Have not seen you on ST in awhile.

Excellent Report. I finally made a decision to go to the Philippines next year. I am planning on spending about 5 days diving in Puerto Galera next March then head over to Palau....I am anxious to read your Puerto Galera part of the trip. How far is Anilao from Puerto Galera?

You still have not been to Palau yet have you?....next March....think about it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom