Trip Report Anilao/Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for excellent report. I can remember your help on my Cebu trip this may 2008. I am planing to Anilao/PG maybe this end of nov - begining of Dec. The problem I heard is the water temperature on this period will be cooler right? Another option should be around july or august 2009. Again I appreciated your help on recommended dive shop / accommodation and also transportation.

Thanks for excellent report. I can remember your help on my Cebu trip this may 2008. I am planing to Anilao/PG maybe this end of nov - begining of Dec. The problem I heard is the water temperature on this period will be cooler right? Another option should be around july or august 2009. Again I appreciated your help on recommended dive shop / accommodation and also transportation.

You're welcome... someone just posted a more recent trip report today... I never quite finished this one :(

For what it's worth here is an excerpt from an email I sent to him about Club Ocellaris in Anilao.... I was answering some specific questions about what to expect. Check out his trip report, he had a great time :)

"Obviously from my report, I really liked Club Ocellaris. They took very good care of me while I was there. I consider them to be the place for really serious photographers. The focus is really on diving. It's a nice place, but no pool, tv, etc... What they do offer, is the best service I've ever received in the Philippines, the best food, and great diving. After Roger left, my girlfriend and I had the place to ourselves with seven people who's only job was to make sure we were taken care of. It was well worth the money and a place that I will definitely go back to.

There is a cover on the boat, but not a big one. I burn easily also, so I was sure to use sunscreen, and I tried to keep myself covered up as much as possible. I definitely recommend a hat. I stayed under the cover during surface intervals. I did avoid any serious sunburn while I was there. We normally would do two dives in the morning, then go back for lunch. Take a break in the afternoon, during the hottest part of the day, then go back out for a late afternoon dive and a night dive. We had one day where we stayed out for 3 dives before going back because of the distance and they made us lunch to take with us. We were lucky to find shade during the surface interval to tie up too.

I didn't use a bucket while I was there. I'm sure they would provide you with one, if you wanted. They covered my camera with a towel during the surface interval and it seemed to be fine. The towel kept it from drying out to much in between dives. I would usually rinse it at lunch, dry it and re-charge my flash battery while we had lunch and I had a siesta after before going back out. I also liked to review my photos from the morning dives during lunch. I'd quiz Peri about names of species, and work on my dive log.

I would drink in the morning and at lunch and was fine myself. I didn't feel it was really that hot, but I spent over 2 1/2 years in the middle east, so my opinion of what "hot" is seems to be a little different than most people ;-) We kept drinking water in my room, that my girlfriend would go out and buy, but didn't really need it since water was served with all the meals. They were very accommodating so I'm sure they would put water on the boat for you if you asked.

Pretty much every site that we dived on had nudibranchs. Bethlehem has some nice corals, nudibranchs, white-eyed moray, ghost pipefish, lot's of anthias... nice site. For macro, definitely Basura. Great muck dive. I never got to that in my report, but I got some nice shots there. Fire urchins, a Painted Frogfish, Coleman Shrimp, snake eels, pipefish, nudibranchs, two different species of octopus, lionfish, prawns...etc.... Have to use good buoyancy and watch yourself if you lay on the bottom to take a photo. Lot's of urchins, and I came close to bumping into a small lionfish. Basura was probably one of my favorite dives. I also liked Darilaut which is what's left of a sunken restaurant. Just the girders. Lot's of growth and macro opportunities there as well.

Beatrice and Sombrero Island were nice dives and I also like Layag Layag where I did a night dive on my last night there right after doing Darilaut. Some nice nudibranchs there including a Spanish Dancer, lionfish, a yellowfaced moray, anemone crabs, and bubble coral. Cathedral is also nice. There's a cross there which makes for an a photo op and many fish.

I'd ask for Peri if he's available to guide. As a photographer himself, someone who is very knowledgeable in the local species, and who has worked with some of the top underwater photographers, I think you'd be really happy with him. He has a photography business in Manila though, so he might not be able to come. From what he told me, he usually only comes to Anilao during the season."

Here's what I had to say in another email about PG:

"I liked PG. There is a lot of variety there. A lot of the dive sites I would consider to be at least intermediate. Current was a daily issue. Dive sites were chosen based on which way the current was running or if it was slack. I got good variety on nudibranchs and fish life. I saw the biggest barracuda that I've ever seen! There are 3 small wrecks there with some interesting fish life. I saw a few different varieties of frogfish. A whitetip reef shark at Shark Cave, tons of fish, everything from sweetlips to groupers and jacks. Some of the dives were definitely a roller coaster, I would suggest being in shape when you get there
03.gif
Lots of good stuff... vis averaged around 50-60 feet... water temp mid 80's... it's the off-season so you'll likely be diving alone with just you and the guide. I had the guide to myself on every dive I did in Puerto Galera."

And okay, here are a few more photos.... I still haven't gotten around to finishing all of them :depressed: These are from PG....

Attachments

• 20080610-Copy of Philippines 135.jpg2.jpg
    20080610-Copy of Philippines 135.jpg2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20080610-Philippines 029.jpg
    20080610-Philippines 029.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 20080610-Philippines 004.jpg
    20080610-Philippines 004.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20080610-Philippines 009.jpg
    20080610-Philippines 009.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20080610-Philippines 051.jpg
    20080610-Philippines 051.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 47
  • 20080610-Philippines 083.jpg
    20080610-Philippines 083.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20080610-Philippines 089.jpg
    20080610-Philippines 089.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 40
  • 20080610-Philippines 153.jpg
    20080610-Philippines 153.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20080611-Copy of Philippines 348.jpg
    20080611-Copy of Philippines 348.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 48
Hey Bill, is that the big Cudda at dry docks? I did 3-4 dives there looking for him, but he was never home. I did find a frogfish though which was a real treat!

And who's bangka is that in the pic? It looks familiar... but not sure! From that angle all the bangkas look the same i guess!

Ciao!

You're welcome... someone just posted a more recent trip report today... I never quite finished this one :(

For what it's worth here is an excerpt from an email I sent to him about Club Ocellaris in Anilao.... I was answering some specific questions about what to expect. Check out his trip report, he had a great time :)

"Obviously from my report, I really liked Club Ocellaris. They took very good care of me while I was there. I consider them to be the place for really serious photographers. The focus is really on diving. It's a nice place, but no pool, tv, etc... What they do offer, is the best service I've ever received in the Philippines, the best food, and great diving. After Roger left, my girlfriend and I had the place to ourselves with seven people who's only job was to make sure we were taken care of. It was well worth the money and a place that I will definitely go back to.

There is a cover on the boat, but not a big one. I burn easily also, so I was sure to use sunscreen, and I tried to keep myself covered up as much as possible. I definitely recommend a hat. I stayed under the cover during surface intervals. I did avoid any serious sunburn while I was there. We normally would do two dives in the morning, then go back for lunch. Take a break in the afternoon, during the hottest part of the day, then go back out for a late afternoon dive and a night dive. We had one day where we stayed out for 3 dives before going back because of the distance and they made us lunch to take with us. We were lucky to find shade during the surface interval to tie up too.

I didn't use a bucket while I was there. I'm sure they would provide you with one, if you wanted. They covered my camera with a towel during the surface interval and it seemed to be fine. The towel kept it from drying out to much in between dives. I would usually rinse it at lunch, dry it and re-charge my flash battery while we had lunch and I had a siesta after before going back out. I also liked to review my photos from the morning dives during lunch. I'd quiz Peri about names of species, and work on my dive log.

I would drink in the morning and at lunch and was fine myself. I didn't feel it was really that hot, but I spent over 2 1/2 years in the middle east, so my opinion of what "hot" is seems to be a little different than most people ;-) We kept drinking water in my room, that my girlfriend would go out and buy, but didn't really need it since water was served with all the meals. They were very accommodating so I'm sure they would put water on the boat for you if you asked.

Pretty much every site that we dived on had nudibranchs. Bethlehem has some nice corals, nudibranchs, white-eyed moray, ghost pipefish, lot's of anthias... nice site. For macro, definitely Basura. Great muck dive. I never got to that in my report, but I got some nice shots there. Fire urchins, a Painted Frogfish, Coleman Shrimp, snake eels, pipefish, nudibranchs, two different species of octopus, lionfish, prawns...etc.... Have to use good buoyancy and watch yourself if you lay on the bottom to take a photo. Lot's of urchins, and I came close to bumping into a small lionfish. Basura was probably one of my favorite dives. I also liked Darilaut which is what's left of a sunken restaurant. Just the girders. Lot's of growth and macro opportunities there as well.

Beatrice and Sombrero Island were nice dives and I also like Layag Layag where I did a night dive on my last night there right after doing Darilaut. Some nice nudibranchs there including a Spanish Dancer, lionfish, a yellowfaced moray, anemone crabs, and bubble coral. Cathedral is also nice. There's a cross there which makes for an a photo op and many fish.

I'd ask for Peri if he's available to guide. As a photographer himself, someone who is very knowledgeable in the local species, and who has worked with some of the top underwater photographers, I think you'd be really happy with him. He has a photography business in Manila though, so he might not be able to come. From what he told me, he usually only comes to Anilao during the season."

Here's what I had to say in another email about PG:

"I liked PG. There is a lot of variety there. A lot of the dive sites I would consider to be at least intermediate. Current was a daily issue. Dive sites were chosen based on which way the current was running or if it was slack. I got good variety on nudibranchs and fish life. I saw the biggest barracuda that I've ever seen! There are 3 small wrecks there with some interesting fish life. I saw a few different varieties of frogfish. A whitetip reef shark at Shark Cave, tons of fish, everything from sweetlips to groupers and jacks. Some of the dives were definitely a roller coaster, I would suggest being in shape when you get there
03.gif
Lots of good stuff... vis averaged around 50-60 feet... water temp mid 80's... it's the off-season so you'll likely be diving alone with just you and the guide. I had the guide to myself on every dive I did in Puerto Galera."

And okay, here are a few more photos.... I still haven't gotten around to finishing all of them :depressed: These are from PG....

Hey Bill, is that the big Cudda at dry docks? I did 3-4 dives there looking for him, but he was never home. I did find a frogfish though which was a real treat!

And who's bangka is that in the pic? It looks familiar... but not sure! From that angle all the bangkas look the same i guess!

Ciao!

Yep, thats the one.... Guess I was lucky, he was there on the first dive I did :) As I was photographing him from 3 feet away it did occur to me that he had awefully big teeth :D

That's the Dive Dojo bangka of course... didn't I mention I dived with them?

I'm thinking about my next trip now. I'm looking at doing Tubbataha in April. Want to do Coron and maybe Anilao again. Don't know if I'll have time to squeeze in a few days at PG or not. Maybe....

Course April is 5 months away, I could change my mind a lot between now and then :)

Diving at the DOJO!!! Can't go wrong there.....I miss Ole Ethei....and Paul....

That's the Dive Dojo bangka of course... didn't I mention I dived with them?

:)

No, I don't think you did! Did you have a good time with them? Did you get to do the Alma Jane at night? It's one of my favorite dives there...

COD

No, I don't think you did! Did you have a good time with them? Did you get to do the Alma Jane at night? It's one of my favorite dives there...

COD

I did Alma Jane twice. Once in the evening (in at about 6PM) and once in the morning. Also did: Sabang Point, Sabang Wrecks, Sinandigan Wall, Ernie's Cave, Shark Cave, The Atoll, Canyons, Monkey Beach Wreck, Dungeon Wreck, La Laguna Point, Kilima, Hole-in-the-Wall (twice), Dungeon Wall, Boulders, Drydock, West Escarceo, and Sabang Wall.

Don't I always have a good time when I'm diving? :eyebrow:

Hey Bill, is that the big Cudda at dry docks? I did 3-4 dives there looking for him, but he was never home.

I was diving there with Peter Eation of Asiadivers the first time he was spotted, some time last year, and he was still around as recently as August this year.

Pretty sure I have a decent photo somewhere - will go look.

While I'm at it, I guess I should include a list of all the dive sites I made in Anilao also, since I never properly finished this....

Koala Reef (twice at night), Bethlehem (twice), Kirby's Rock, Darilaut (twice), Balanoy, Dead Palm, Twin Rocks, Aphol's Rock, Arthur's Rock (drift) to Mayumi, Cathedral, Basura (at night and one of my favorite dives), Beatrice, Sombrero Island, and finished with a night dive at Layag Layag (another one I really enjoyed). 17 dives total starting with a night dive on Sunday night June 1st, right after I got there and ending on Thursday night June 5th

I started up again with a dive on Sabang Point in Puerto Galera on Friday night June 6th.

I finished diving in Puerto Galera with an early morning dive on Sabang Wall on June 11th. We did some sightseeing around PG that day and then went back to Manila the next day. More sightseeing there and of course we were able to hook up with some of the gang from PPD while we were there :)

I really enjoyed my time in the Philippines (as I always do). I've invested a fair amount of money recently in computers, software, and more dive equipment. My next trip I'm looking at now is Tubbataha in April. Coron will be included and perhaps a side trip to Anilao. I'd like to see what I can do with a 60mm Micro-Nikkor. The shots I've posted here for those who may not have noticed are not true macro. They're cropped as my current lens is an 18-55 Nikkor. I think there will be another lens making the trip with me next time :)

OK, found it

IMG_5441a.jpg

"Whatever you do, don't swallow!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom