Trailer Stolen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Putting a LoJack on your trailer might come in handy if they steal it full of diving gear. I can imagine their faces when the police knocks on their door. They would never think a trailer would be protected like that.

I have a friend who installed a steel grate behind a solid oak door closed with two padlocks. That door led to a cigarettes stock room.

The thieves worked on the door and padlocks for a good fifteen minutes, when they finally opened it they saw that they still had to go thru the grate. The look on their faces was priceless. They turned around and left.

The police was able to find them with the picture from the Instamatic camera my friend had rigged up. That happened thirty years ago.

Good luck on finding your trailer. I have been robbed seven times in my business in the past twenty years. Never got anything back. The police files the report and it's only use is for statistics.

Well, I contacted my insurance agent. I have $1000 deductable. The trailer wasn't covered, bu the contents are. Unfortunately, the value of the contents doesn't exceed $1000, so it isn't work the effort of filing a claim.

I do like the idea of putting up some video cameras and surveillance. I live on a corner lot on one of the main intersections in the neighborhood and there a is quite a bit of activity around that corner. It would be good to see what kind of shenanigans go on while I am not looking. I have had items stolen from my garage when we errently left the door open. But if we are careful to make sure that things are locked, we have never had as big of a problem as the trailer.

If I wanted to put up 2-4 cameras and keep several hours of video (say 24hrs) any Idea how much it would cost me?

I will be getting a new trailer just like the one I had, probably in Jan or Feb. The next one, I will store in my garage.

I also like the LoJack idea, wonder how much that costs?

Randy

Just curious why the trailer wasn't covered? did it require a seperate policy and was not covered under your homeowners?

Lojack has an initial cost and then an annual fee. You also have to keep a battery on it. there might be other/better options...

Well, I contacted my insurance agent. I have $1000 deductable. The trailer wasn't covered, bu the contents are.

Man it's a real bummer that your rebreather, all those tanks, drysuits, etc were in there :D j/k

A friend of mine has a cheap solution for trailer security....jack up trailer, remove wheel, place jack stand under axle. Have fun dragging it away. I would generally avoid advertising contents unless those scuba companies are paying you to put stickers on your trailer...

The 7.62x51 nato round at 1000m has more kinetic energy on impact than a .357 at point blank range. I'm just saying... :ar15:

The 7.62x51 nato round at 1000m has more kinetic energy on impact than a .357 at point blank range. I'm just saying... :ar15:

That is why the 7.62 NATO is a poor choice for home defense. It is big, fast and solid, it will go right through the turd and continue on a deadly trajectory for a long time... potentially causing collateral damage.

A nice hollow point in a medium caliber round (think 9mm) will have enough energy to stop anyone up close and then self destruct on the initial impact, minimizing the risk to others. You can go up in size of course for more stopping power, but unless you practice all the time it is really hard to fire multiple shots quickly and accurately with the big guns (.357, 10mm, .45 etc).

Sorry to hear about your trailer Randy. It was always a fear of mine at the old scuba shop. We had a tongue lock and a wheel lock on it. Here are a few videos I took from our surveillance cameras of a burglar that almost hit our house. Luckily my dogs chased him out of the yard after he jumped our fence. We of course sent all the video into the police, and then they identified the guy but they have yet to arrest him. They will get him one day He did end up robbing my neighbors house and stole $7,000 and we have a video of him walking down the street with a back pack on. Here are the links there are three parts. The 3rd part is hilarious, my dogs are awesome!

YouTube - Part 1 Thief stealing my Dallas Maverick Playoff Tickets off my front porch! Part 1
YouTube - Part 2 Thief driving away
YouTube - Part 3 Burglar gets scared away by my dogs!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom