Trailer Stolen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone remembers the Joe Horn incident where a guy in Pasadena gunned down two thieves who were breaking into a neighbors house. That was justified. The grand jury no billed him. It was about two years ago. It happened in a nice neigborhood. My co-worker lives a few houses down from where that occurred. Mr Horn doesnt live there now(its actually his daughters house). But he comes to visit all the time.

It is pretty sad when you value someones life over a piece of gear!

I have no problem with a proper punishment for a crime or defending yourself or family (I am well armed even by Texas standards), but you are basically putting yourself in bed with the likes of the Taliban. No thanks.

Grumpy, I think you meant "value your gear over someone's life" . . . based on that presumption . . .

You are balancing "life" with "gear".

For some of us, it's balancing "life" with (1) the sanctity of the castle, (2) the hard work to earn the $$ to pay for the gear (3), the outrage of a scum violating our personal space & disrespecting us, and for some, (4) the anger over the violation of God's Commandments - coveting and stealing [part of morals and values ingrained from childhood].

People wage war over violations of such things (think Crusades). Those of us that would fire solid stopping power into a scum that chooses to violate us on so many levels are not weighing "life" and "gear".

Wow! This has turned into a heavy thread.

On the other hand (no pun intended), I have to agree with some principle and stand for something; so, hang'em! I work hard for my stuff.

Grumpy, I think you meant "value your gear over someone's life" . . . based on that presumption . . .

You are balancing "life" with "gear".

For some of us, it's balancing "life" with (1) the sanctity of the castle, (2) the hard work to earn the $$ to pay for the gear (3), the outrage of a scum violating our personal space & disrespecting us, and for some, (4) the anger over the violation of God's Commandments - coveting and stealing [part of morals and values ingrained from childhood].

People wage war over violations of such things (think Crusades). Those of us that would fire solid stopping power into a scum that chooses to violate us on so many levels are not weighing "life" and "gear".

Just back from the shooting range, practicing with my 9mm buddies, note the irony.

Perhaps you might want to reread the post. My comments have nothing to do with defending your castle, personal safety or property. I am prepared to defend mine and will, as a member of the NRA defend your rights also.

My comments have to do with comments from others on extracting the proper revenge if they caught the bastards. This started with keel hauling, then someone proceeded to cutting of their hands, etc...

Seriously, do you really want to invoke the 10 commandments to justify vigilante justice? Talk about making this a heavy subject.

I think as divers we should offer condolences to TxIceDiver for his loss. We should keep an eye out for his gear. We might discuss ways to prevent similar losses. We all have significant investments that we would like to protect. But let get beyond acting like little boys and discussing how we are going to extract revenge.

Thanks for listening, now I will shut up

I personally believe in an 'eye for an eye', but it has nothing to do with religious beliefs, nor does it mean that I'm going to go hunt a person down for my own personal view of justice. I also believe in capitol punishment and chain gangs. Either put my tax dollars to use by putting imprisoned convicts to work in labor camps or get rid of them. The thought of throwing money down the drain just so some sleaze bag gets to spend his days in a plush jail cell, three meals a day, and not have to lift a finger makes my blood boil.

I personally believe in an 'eye for an eye', but it has nothing to do with religious beliefs, nor does it mean that I'm going to go hunt a person down for my own personal view of justice. I also believe in capitol punishment and chain gangs. Either put my tax dollars to use by putting imprisoned convicts to work in labor camps or get rid of them. The thought of throwing money down the drain just so some sleaze bag gets to spend his days in a plush jail cell, three meals a day, and not have to lift a finger makes my blood boil.
Where did you get the idea of "plush jail cell, three meals a day, and not have to lift a finger"...? I guess most Texans have never been inside a state jail or prison, but their quarters are certainly not plush nor private, the inmates do work as much as possible in facility support jobs and the farms, and I've never heard anything good about their food. Keeping them busy as well as controlled is expensive, but we get as much as we can out of them, and they get some TV time mostly to occupy them during rest time. Life without parole is expensive for capital cases but less so than the total cost of executions actually, and our record for executing the innocent is a little embarrassing anyway.

Where did you get the idea of "plush jail cell, three meals a day, and not have to lift a finger"...? I guess most Texans have never been inside a state jail or prison, but their quarters are certainly not plush nor private, the inmates do work as much as possible in facility support jobs and the farms, and I've never heard anything good about their food. Keeping them busy as well as controlled is expensive, but we get as much as we can out of them, and they get some TV time mostly to occupy them during rest time. Life without parole is expensive for capital cases but less so than the total cost of executions actually, and our record for executing the innocent is a little embarrassing anyway.

Plush may be the wrong word, but the point is that these people get housed, clothed, and fed on our dime. I very rarely see inmates doing work around here. Every now and then you might see them mowing a lawn or painting a building, but that's a far cry from a labor camp.

Plush may be the wrong word, but the point is that these people get housed, clothed, and fed on our dime. I very rarely see inmates doing work around here. Every now and then you might see them mowing a lawn or painting a building, but that's a far cry from a labor camp.
You're in Amarillo, right? Aren't both of those maximum security? Not the kind of inmates you want farming outside. I think they have a meat packing plant there, altho I have been out of prison volunteering a long time and not up to date on stuff. I went to the max-sec unit there for training and while I 'd been going to on temporary permit.

Anyway, the only ones that don't work or the ones who cannot for some reason, or are in solitary - and sol-time is very hard time. We get a lot of labor on parks, streets, etc from local inmates here.

Community service is a far cry from doing time. I do not see inmates walking around picking up garbage in our parks. I do see people that had been given community service rather than jail time. I would like to think that only the amateur criminals get community service.

I would also hazard a guess (and that is just what it is) that there are far more people taking up space in a jail where the only service that is done by them is benefited by the jail and not the outside world than there are criminals out cleaning the streets.

Criminals = Cost Taxpayers Money

I have been active in the prison system for some time ( more than 12 years) with substance abuse education and I can assure you they do work. The city of Huntsville has a map you can get at the local chamber of commerce or tourists board that will give you a driving tour of the facilities. Each facility has a job and they are mostly self sufficient on food, maintenance, and upkeep. I am certainly not defending the prison system but I just think it should be noted that we do not foot the entire bill. Take a trip down to Blue Lagoon, get in a couple of dives and then go get a map and drive around. The graveyard alone will blow your mind.
A majority of the inmates are a result of an addiction to either alcohol, drugs, or both. I am definitely on the pro-gun side, and protecting my property but I also believe in providing a solution at the same time. Getting active in my community ( Citizens on Patrol) and especially with some form of rehabiliation within the prison system has helped me tremendously. It is not for everyone, but helping rather than pointing fingers can be a better alternative for some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom