Trailer Stolen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Community service is a far cry from doing time. I do not see inmates walking around picking up garbage in our parks. I do see people that had been given community service rather than jail time. I would like to think that only the amateur criminals get community service.
Well, I have no idea what it's like there. Do you have prisons close by, and are they are low risk convicts that can be deemed trustworthy for outside work? Inmates from Amarillo's maximum security unit(s?) are not safe for take out, nor are those from Lubbock's Psyc unit. Those are more warehoused to protect the public from them. I've been inside the Trustee camp at Lubbock's with inmates that could have been kept at low risk units and might have worked on outside chains but were moved there to work in unit support as the psychos could not be used for such - and it's a shame to employ civilians when you use slave labor.

Here, probation is generally given to those deemed first-time losers who are not a threat to the public in hopes they change direction while under close supervision, no booze in their lives, etc - and some work time is obtained from them like you're seeing. Our US system varies by states and is certainly imperfect, but we like it better than the harsher ones of some other countries.
I would also hazard a guess (and that is just what it is) that there are far more people taking up space in a jail where the only service that is done by them is benefited by the jail and not the outside world than there are criminals out cleaning the streets.
And some who are no benefit at all as well, I know. Here, those that can work to support the unit's needs in kitchens, as janitors, etc do at least contribute. Some can only be warehoused for public protection and that's all you can do. We have a couple of State Jails locally with low risk cons, short timers with little incentive for escape or causing troubles, so we can get more outside work from many of them. My village had to dig up two spots on main street in the last week to repair broken water lines and I am sure we will have cons over someday soon to get the soil back into the holes just right and relay the antique bricks we enjoy on main.
Criminals = Cost Taxpayers Money
Oh yeah, they all do indeed. We used to not have prisons in west Texas and I kind of hated to see them built here. Good for local businesses, but ugly to drive by. One of the local units was originally a SAFP, Substance Abuse Facility Prison I think were the words, for those whose crimes were repeated DUIs or stealing & dealing to support other addictions, but then we started electing Republican governors and that changed. The newer regime prefers to lock up more, rehab less, eat the cost of inmates and brag about how much local business the units contribute. Those cons often spend too much time discussing how to be more effective criminals in the next free round, but some get out and learn to conform.

So...I take it there is no news on the abducted trailer? :depressed:

Hmm... seems I created quite an argument with the keel hull stuff...

The real issue is that there is some trailer stealing mofo out there and he needs to get whats coming to him be that doing some time or simply having some bad karma and what goes along with that...

@TxIceDiver: I hope you get your trailer back dude.

Hmm... seems I created quite an argument with the keel hull stuff...

The real issue is that there is some trailer stealing mofo out there and he needs to get whats coming to him be that doing some time or simply having some bad karma and what goes along with that...

@TxIceDiver: I hope you get your trailer back dude.
I do hope that they catch him as well as get the trailer back in good shape. Whether it might be some kid on his first bust yielding probation or a more experience criminal yielding hard time, they also have to pay off fines & penalties in Texas too. We're infamous for our hard punishments; doesn't seem to deter crimes much, but the intent was good.

Back
Top Bottom