Time honored Jet Fins vs Slipstream, Vs Dive Rite XT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a pair of the OMS Slipstreams. They're MUCH less negative in the water than F1's or Jet Fins. In Sidemount, the lighter fin is CRUCIAL. In backmounted single, it depends on the tank, the person, and the setup. In BM doubles, most people need to weight at their feet. In a drysuit, this is typically exacerbated.

I wouldn't say that, it also depends on the tanks, person and setup in Sidemount.
I dive Sidemount with weight right on my butt and I am very head heavy, I'm looking for some heavier fins at the moment but the scuba pro just won't fit my (very wide) feet...

You are the first person I've heard of to have that problem. Most people use shoulder weights to keep their head down when in sidemount. I guess I should've qualified my statement to be "is CRUCIAL for most people." The fact that SM makes people more foot-heavy than BM is physics, I guess the extent of that depends on diver and gear.

Personally I have no love for Jet Fins (although I've used them in the distant past). Besides, I can't frog kick worth beans. I have several sets of fins and use the Apollo Bio-Fins in local waters but travel with the much lighter old U.S. Divers (Aqualung) original blades.

You are the first person I've heard of to have that problem. Most people use shoulder weights to keep their head down when in sidemount. I guess I should've qualified my statement to be "is CRUCIAL for most people." The fact that SM makes people more foot-heavy than BM is physics, I guess the extent of that depends on diver and gear.

Heavy fins are typically only an issue with steel cylinders not aluminum cylinders.

I recently just realized the force fins I like so much, are actually the Extra Force fins...more so a bit, than the Ecellerating Force fins...while both are far superior to Jets, I like the Extra Force considerably more....they are vastly more efficient than Jets at flutter kick, great for frog kick, and far faster than jets at reverse kicking....the Extra Force also has enough control surface so that if you are in a cave or wreck penetration in close quarters, and must do significant motionless hovering, these fins are great for this also ( one of the things Jets have tended to be the best at( from stiffness and control surface).
Force Fin Extra Force scuba fins +Whiskers &EXTRAS! (10/01/2009)... is the only place I see them right at this moment, but I believe they may well be in production again soon, after hearing all the news of the new force Fin production plant from Bob Evans, at this last DEMA Show.

Don't expect cheap...they will cost much more than Jets or DR or the others discussed in this thread...but they will be the best....If you visit Palm Beach for a Dive trip, you are welcome to try my pair....Some people collect Sports cars...I have like a dozen or more of the best fins.....Several models of carbon fiber free dive fins, several models if Force Fins, obviously I have SP Jets and Hollis F1's( though the Hollis and Jets are pitiful compared to the Extra Force or the excellerating force Fins).

Weight for these is also quite neutral compared to jets.

I have a pair of ScubaPro Jets. I dive Dive Rite EXPs and like them very much. DR has recently changed the buckle to stainless steel and they call them the XTs now

---------- Post added November 16th, 2013 at 04:30 PM ----------

danvolker Don't expect cheap...they will cost much more than Jets or DR or the others discussed in this thread...but they will be the best....If you visit Palm Beach for a Dive trip:
According to the Force Fins website, the Excellerating Force Fins are $395 a pair

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom