Lightweight tech fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I feel like if I want a pair of "serious" fins, I should go for the Eddy. If I want something easy going and to share with my junior diver kid, the Aqualung Storm would be optimal since I won't have to buy him new booties as his feet grow. The Eddy can of course also be shared with him, but then I'd need to buy more boots. The Storm would be passable for tech kicks, though from the sparse reviews I can't expect it to outperform my Super Mew XX, which is a shame. The Eddy is already very light, but the Storm would be a real game changer.

EDIT: There's also the Tusa Travel Light, basically and alt to the Aqualung Storm. Can't find reviews on SB.

I've tried the Aqualung Storm. Hated it. So uncomfortable. The foot pockets were tough and uncomfortable, the straps dug uncomfortably into the back of my feet and heels, the fins create unstable movements for your body, something I've never experienced with the Super Mew XX.

But tbh I'm a bit over struggling to take my booties off after every dive. If only there were a perfect solution...

So I feel like if I want a pair of "serious" fins, I should go for the Eddy.
Eddy--"serious"? Okay, they are stiff like lightweight distant cousins of Jet fins, but a fin that is most commonly found in bright orange can hardly be called "serious." :wink:
I've tried the Aqualung Storm. Hated it. So uncomfortable. The foot pockets were tough and uncomfortable, the straps dug uncomfortably into the back of my feet and heels
Comfort is key. I hate to echo others on the comfort aspect of the Eddy, but some people with high insteps (the top of the foot) find the Eddy can rub a blister into the top of the foot. Except for the one place where it rubs my foot, the Eddy foot pocket fits very comfortably, if that makes any sense. I find the Eddys wonderful for a day or two of diving, but when I'm diving multiple times a day for a week I will inevitably develop a blister.

Eddy--"serious"? Okay, they are stiff like lightweight distant cousins of Jet fins, but a fin that is most commonly found in bright orange can hardly be called "serious." :wink:
My Super Mew XX's are in bright orange xD you can always see me underwater. I'm hoping to get a new pair in an equally obnoxiously loud color, either orange or yellow or maybe white. Can't do pink.

Comfort is key. I hate to echo others on the comfort aspect of the Eddy, but some people with high insteps (the top of the foot) find the Eddy can rub a blister into the top of the foot. Except for the one place where it rubs my foot, the Eddy foot pocket fits very comfortably, if that makes any sense. I find the Eddys wonderful for a day or two of diving, but when I'm diving multiple times a day for a week I will inevitably develop a blister.
What I absolutely love about the Super Mew XX + Probe iDry booties combo I'm using is their extreme comfort after weeks of intensive diving. I'm willing to wear rental wetsuits and use rental regs, even use rental bc vest instead of wing, but my gorgeous fins and booties are extremely important to my diving comfort. They are just so damn heavy, and the booties a pain to doff. Plus a bit too long for wreck penetration. If nothing else works, Gull's Mew Cypher might just be what we end up with. It's only 877gr/pair (<1lb/fin) and all rubber, guaranteed comfort and seems to do alright in light currents. But then I'll have to stick with my current booties and can't swap for socks.

I have both versions of the RK3 (HD)
I wear the RK3 HD in drysuit for sidemount steel HP100's. Pleanty of power and maneuverability. They are negativily buoyant in FW and SW. These are not light.
I wear the RK3 in a 5mm for sidemount, AL80 in Mexico. Still adequate power and excellent maneuverability. They are neautraly buoyant in fresh water. These are not too heavy.
I also have Eddy fins and they are good too.
I have had a couple pair of SP Jetfins.

Reviews from Andy Davis and Steve Martin are also that they are a good tech fin.

Best 'anything' is subjective.

I have both versions of the RK3 (HD)
I wear the RK3 HD in drysuit for sidemount steel HP100's. Pleanty of power and maneuverability. They are negativily buoyant in FW and SW. These are not light.
I wear the RK3 in a 5mm for sidemount, AL80 in Mexico. Still adequate power and excellent maneuverability. They are neautraly buoyant in fresh water. These are not too heavy.
I also have Eddy fins and they are good too.
I have had a couple pair of SP Jetfins.

Reviews from Andy Davis and Steve Martin are also that they are a good tech fin.

Best 'anything' is subjective.
Just ordered a pair of the regular RK3’s to see how they compare to my Mares Avanti quattro’s.

I really like the Hollis F2's dive it with a JJ and 4ea. s80 bailouts no issues

I've been using Hollis F2s for a few years now, my Mares fins retired!

Haven't bought my fins yet. But I'm looking at something that is unbreakable and won't come off my foot. It's got to be black.
Ideally you want the fins come off easily without taking your leg with it when a shark bites and tugs at it…

You're right, I mixed it up with another one that I've tried (Jet Fins). I've never tried the Eddy, only seen reviews about it might be uncomfortable for high insteps.
I have high arches, and the Eddy is my fin of choice as it works with the most configurations in which I dive. I wish it worked with all, but I need one set of heavy fins for round bottomed steel twinsets drysuit diving. Can't get those flat bottomed steel cylinders in the US (or at least I've never seen them).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom