Lightweight tech fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using Hollis F2s for a few years now, my Mares fins retired!
I've abandoned my F2's for warm water. While they are a dream for back-kicks and frog kicks, I just could not generate enough power with them for 'normal' dives, particularly if I had to fight any current

Please help me pick my next pair of fins!

Current fins: Gull Super Mew XX size S at just a touch above 1kg per fin. Great for open water and strong currents, can do tech kicks but not extremely precise.

Looking for: lighter fins in size S that's good for technical kicks and multiple tanks.

Must be:
- at or under 1kg per fin
- comfortable foot pockets for high insteps
- adequately powerful

Considering: (weight per fin)
1. Deep 6 Eddy - 1.4lbs
2. Oceanic Accel - 1.1lbs
3. Aqualung Storm - (significantly) <1.5lbs

Excluded:
- Jet fins: too heavy; also DiveRite XT (2.1lbs), Indigo's TAC Fins (1.9lbs), Hollis F2 (1.9lbs), Tecline LightJet (1.8lbs)
- Scubapro Go: too floppy, imprecise, not powerful at all
- Apeks RK3: haven't tried but not impressed with reviews, also mostly about not being precise or powerful enough
- UTD Precision, OMS Slipstream, XS Turtle: no size S

Thanks!
I just started diving with Deep 6 Eddy and love them. Haven’t found any cons yet. Light weight. Great for trim and maneuverability. They are also stiffer than the RK3s and I prefer a stiffer fin. Excellent.

I came from Hollis F1 which I really liked but we’re too heavy for me.

I just started diving with Deep 6 Eddy and love them. Haven’t found any cons yet.
Have you dived with them in a wetsuit several times a day for a week? For me, it inevitably means blisters. Even with lycra socks.

While I was diving in Belize, I had neoprene shoes (small 3 mil ones, horrible for shore diving where you have to walk over rocks. Plan to upgrade to a better boot. My Deep 6 thick boots were overkill for those waters.

I can't imagine not having a better soled boot for any fins (except for full foot). Given the stiffness of the material, a boot makes sense to me. It is a about tradeoffs. I will wear a shoe for more control. Always have in warm water diving with previous fins (like Mares, can't wear those without a boot either).

I’ve used 5mm neoprene boots from DGX in the past with Deep6 fins when I was diving wet a few years back. Not terribly expensive and they were comfortable. Not sure if they still offer them.

These are the DGX boots. $30.

Just ordered a pair of the regular RK3’s to see how they compare to my Mares Avanti quattro’s.
I have also tested the quattro's (with rubber bungee straps). I liked them. I could frog, back and flutter etc. For me though, I have just become very accustomed to shorter fins and that was the only dealbreaker. They where a pretty good all rounder though.

I've abandoned my F2's for warm water. While they are a dream for back-kicks and frog kicks, I just could not generate enough power with them for 'normal' dives, particularly if I had to fight any current
If I know I'm going to be in possible current that requires hard work then I will definitely bring my Mares fins (e.g. Musandam diving here in Oman).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom