Lightweight tech fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterpurrs

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please help me pick my next pair of fins!

Current fins: Gull Super Mew XX size S at just a touch above 1kg per fin. Great for open water and strong currents, can do tech kicks but not extremely precise.

Looking for: lighter fins in size S that's good for technical kicks and multiple tanks.

Must be:
- at or under 1kg per fin
- comfortable foot pockets for high insteps
- adequately powerful

Considering: (weight per fin)
1. Deep 6 Eddy - 1.4lbs
2. Oceanic Accel - 1.1lbs
3. Aqualung Storm - (significantly) <1.5lbs

Excluded:
- Jet fins: too heavy; also DiveRite XT (2.1lbs), Indigo's TAC Fins (1.9lbs), Hollis F2 (1.9lbs), Tecline LightJet (1.8lbs)
- Scubapro Go: too floppy, imprecise, not powerful at all
- Apeks RK3: haven't tried but not impressed with reviews, also mostly about not being precise or powerful enough
- UTD Precision, OMS Slipstream, XS Turtle: no size S

Thanks!

Odd that you don't like the Eddy's foot pocket, it's usually a point presented in their favor.
You're right, I mixed it up with another one that I've tried (Jet Fins). I've never tried the Eddy, only seen reviews about it might be uncomfortable for high insteps.

I've updated my OP with fin weights and shortlist. Currently it's down to Eddy vs Accel vs Storm.

I'm not a tech diver, but I do have a pair of Oceanic Accels that I bought to be travel fins. I like the light weight, and they are fairly short and easy to pack. They are also quite stiff, and I really like them for frog kicks. I feel like I can hold my position pretty well in them (while my dive buddy takes 50 pictures of everything:)). I think they are generally powerful enough for most of my rec diving, but in situations where I know I might need more power to swim against a steady current they would not be my first choice.

The fin straps are also not my favorite -- about half of the time one side of a strap will disconnect when I am taking the fins off. Not a huge issue, as they go back on very easily, but something to be mindful of -- it has not bothered me enough to replace the straps, since they are otherwise quite comfortable and part of the light weight.

Overall I do like them, and they are great to travel with.

Deep 6 Eddy for the win!

I know you excluded them but I took Scubapro GO Travel Fins to the Galapagos as my light weight travel tech fin. I usually dive with Scuba Pro Jets fins and found this the best replacement for me. They were good for both diving and snorkeling.

I think you missed the Scubapro Go Sport which is rumoured to be stiffer than the Go Travel. I ordered these a month back after searching a lot of reviews then cancelled just yesterday with no hope of Imports/stocks in my country for the next one month. I intend to get these from Singapore now via a friend.
The Oceanic Accel are my next choice with a universal bungee strap to replace the flimsy silicone ones.
On a personal note - My choices are very limited to just these two because my check-in hard shell suitcase can only accommodate fins lesser than 24” else the Quattro+ would have been a default fallback choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom