the tropics are waking up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gators, crocs, snakes, balls of red ants, along with some looters who were arrested. I hope the best for those suffering thru the aftermath.
Those floating rafts of fire ants are the scariest of all of them.

Projected to track west into Central America if it develops at all, but definitely worth watching. As Ian showed, EVERYTHING is worth watching, and the cone ... take the uncertainty seriously. Two Saturday's ago Ian was supposed to be a Cat 2 hurricane heading toward the panhandle, then by last Wednesday it is obliterating coastal SWFL just shy of a Cat 5.

Projected to track west into Central America if it develops at all, but definitely worth watching. As Ian showed, EVERYTHING is worth watching, and the cone ... take the uncertainty seriously. Two Saturday's ago Ian was supposed to be a Cat 2 hurricane heading toward the panhandle, then by last Wednesday it is obliterating coastal SWFL just shy of a Cat 5.
They nearly always veer to the right at some point, so yeah, keep an eye on it for sure. My peeps in South Louisiana are watching it as well.

They nearly always veer to the right at some point, so yeah, keep an eye on it for sure. My peeps in South Louisiana are watching it as well.

Well that's just physics. All hurricanes in the Atlantic will veer right if moving forward without any external steering mechanism. However, the location and size of the high pressure bubbles and low pressure troughs are hugely influential as steering forces. A hurricane will just sit there and spin apart from some sort of steering mechanism. When those mechanisms break down like happened with Dorian and happened to an extent with Ian when making landfall in SWFL, they tend to just sit there or move forward at a crawl.

In the instance of Invest 91 there is projected to be significant high pressure in place to keep it on an essentially western path. We will see but I sure hope they are right.

All hurricanes in the Atlantic will veer right if moving forward without any external steering mechanism.
Or is that in the northern hemisphere, like how commodes flush?

The news media is going to ride Ian stories as long as possible of course, but I keep reading some about people being surprised at the flooding. Hasn't that always been the biggest risk to life in hurricanes? Most of Florida is basically a swamp with the highest point of Britton Hill, being only $345 feet, and it's barely in Florida.

yes it is ridiculous, even politicians will say that nobody expected this kind of flooding. Remember hurricane sandy, they said nobody could have foreseen this... but of course, storm surges WERE predicted and everyone had ample warnings to leave the area, but many did not.

Or is that in the northern hemisphere, like how commodes flush?

The news media is going to ride Ian stories as long as possible of course, but I keep reading some about people being surprised at the flooding. Hasn't that always been the biggest risk to life in hurricanes? Most of Florida is basically a swamp with the highest point of Britton Hill, being only $345 feet, and it's barely in Florida.

Correct. There are no hurricanes (typhoons) in the Southern Atlantic though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom