the tropics are waking up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am headed to Coz for about 10 days beginning Labor Day. I know this is the peak of hurricane season, but my schedule is only allowing me some dive time in September. I have made August trips to Coz and have had no issues at all. Finger crossed!

Potential Tropical Cyclone Two is forecast to track westward and cross over into the Pacific over the weekend. Storms occasionally cross from the Pacific into the Atlantic, but this is the first I can remember that may go the other way.

Storms occasionally cross from the Pacific into the Atlantic, but this is the first I can remember that may go the other way.
I think I remember one before, but we can't really trust my memory. Mexico's mountains usually break them up, but below Mexico, it's less mountainous. This year Agatha already crossed from the Pacific to become Alex in the Atlantic, and now Bonnie may survive to become Blas in the Pacific. Who picks a name like Blas?
I have made August trips to Coz and have had no issues at all.
I often go in August without problems, but I ignored experts and their forecasts when Dean was aiming at the island as a Cat-5. I chickened out after one day of diving and escaped. People were arriving at the hotel as I was leaving, and they were surprised to hear of a storm as they had not checked the forecast. The Cancun airport was full of people who had spent the night in line for standby flights and I was so glad that I had a reservation. Continental flew an empty plane in to pickup escapees.

Who picks a name like Blas?
Surely you've heard of the Mexican coastal town of San Blas. Also:
Blaise of Sebaste was a physician and bishop of Sebastea in historical Armenia who is venerated as a Christian saint and martyr. Blaise is venerated as a saint in the Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox churches and is the patron saint of wool combers and throat disease. Wikipedia

But for a storm name?

I think the article I linked about is wrong about name changes in different oceans. Agatha became Alex with that change, but Bonnie kept hers? My guess is because Blas had already been used, but they didn't want to go ahead with Darby.

A couple of low-risk developments. Dallas was hit harder this week with thousand-year floods.

A couple of low-risk developments. Dallas was hit harder this week with thousand-year floods.
Um, OK, but I don't see where the one has anything to do with the other from Cozumel's perspective. Virtually all tropical storms show up as "low risk" in the first few days. These, especially the western one, bear watching, IMO. My peeps in South Louisiana are watching them as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom