The tropics are waking up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New this morning:
I watched the projected animation on Windy and it shows a pacific side low basically fizzle out on the pacific side at the Honduras Nicaragua border while a separate low forms NE of Roatan and passing east of Cozumel late Saturday / early Sunday and not building any strong winds until in the gulf above the west end of Cuba.
Wind Guru (KPH)
1692890282721.png

Wind models have it stalling near Cozumel for a few days before moving North.

1693067929556.png

Port will probably close tomorrow afternoon, if not sooner, hopefully it will open again by Wednesday.

'Tis the season...

There's a red one pointed at the Caribbean; I would screenshoot and upload the image but we can't do that right now. My peeps in south Louisiana are watching this one closely as well; the high pressure heat dome has been pushing storms off to the east all season so far, but it's been weakening over the past week or so.

Using the Windy app animation it shows a decent formation by mid next week and then moving towards Bermuda. Of course that's a ways out but hopefully it stays in the mid Atlantic
Screenshot_2023-09-22-11-51-21-40_e3a54d51cf5d64b91351a7df7b914f4d.jpg

Using the Windy app animation it shows a decent formation by mid next week and then moving towards Bermuda. Of course that's a ways out but hopefully it stays in the mid Atlantic
I hope so, too. The 11AM NHC update shows the predicted path bending a little more to the right/north than the earlier one this morning. That one showed it heading straight for the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. Of course, and as you say, it's still a long ways out.

Good news, bad news. The good is that TD17, forecast to develop into at least a tropical storm, is also predicted to make a right turn early next week and miss the Caribbean and the US. The bad is that the high pressure heat dome that is part of the reason the storm will make that turn is strengthening again and it is going to be back at 100+ degrees here.

The predicted path of Philippe has changed radically. Yesterday it was forecast to veer shaply to the right in a couple of days and spin harmlessly (to us, anyway) off into the central Atlantic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 3.46.13 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-26 at 3.46.13 PM.png
    408.6 KB · Views: 27
The predicted path of Philippe has changed radically. Yesterday it was forecast to veer shaply to the right in a couple of days and spin harmlessly (to us, anyway) off into the central Atlantic.

That's because it is dying, thus the storm isn't nearly as high and won't be picked up by the steering currents as was previously forecasted. It isn't expected to be much of anything. Hopefully that is the case.

That's because it is dying, thus the storm isn't nearly as high and won't be picked up by the steering currents as was previously forecasted. It isn't expected to be much of anything. Hopefully that is the case.
I hope so, too. I will keep watching it, though, as I am sure you will as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom