the tropics are waking up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, duh; what else would it be? Magic? :D

You have no idea the number of people who have no clue why they ‘turn right’. Just stating the obvious because most people I’ve talked to about it are dumbfounded.

The turn right because of the Cornholis effect. 🤣

Correct. There are no hurricanes (typhoons) in the Southern Atlantic though.
Well, the toilet flushing direction has been disputed. Which Direction Does Toilet Water Swirl at the Equator?
The influence of the Coriolis force on spin direction is real, but it is generally only observable on very large scales, such as trade winds and hurricanes. The affect the Coriolis force has on a toilet bowl is much too small to actually see in a flushing toilet but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist

I-75 at Myakka River on Saturday:

IMG_1933.jpg

In the instance of Invest 91 there is projected to be significant high pressure in place to keep it on an essentially western path. We will see but I sure hope they are right.
But of course anyone who has lived for any length of time near the Gulf coast or the Atlantic coast of Florida knows that hurricanes which follow an unchanging predicted path for days or weeks are the exceptions. Much more often we watch the 5 day predictions from the NHC change day to day as storms move toward landfall.

Much more often we watch the 5 day predictions from the NHC change day to day as storms move toward landfall.

People that are surprised by this don't read the forecast discussions. It gives you insight on how sure they are of their predictions, what is causing their doubts, and how they decided to make the formal forecast.

For Invest 91, they see little chance of development until very late, probably too late to turn toward the Gulf Coast.

But of course anyone who has lived for any length of time near the Gulf coast or the Atlantic coast of Florida knows that hurricanes which follow an unchanging predicted path for days or weeks are the exceptions. Much more often we watch the 5 day predictions from the NHC change day to day as storms move toward landfall.

Well, duh!

People that are surprised by this don't read the forecast discussions. It gives you insight on how sure they are of their predictions, what is causing their doubts, and how they decided to make the formal forecast.

For Invest 91, they see little chance of development until very late, probably too late to turn toward the Gulf Coast.
I don't know anyone who is surprised by this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom