The great Suunto data cable thread (incl DIY)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone care to report on which USB adapters have worked with the serial cable? There's too many adapters out there and some seem to cause conflicts or other problems.

didn't find mentioning about Gekko in thie thread.

Does Jamie's cable work with it, which Suunto said has no PC interface offered?

Thx

The Gekko will not work with the traditional interfaces. It does have download facilities, but these are locked for accident investigations only, so probably require a specific interface from Suunto.

The question is, is it possible to work out what is different with the device or protocol required to communicate with the Gekko???

To be fair, Suunto have stated that the Gekko dive data is not downloadable, so you pays for what you gets.

Cheers,

Andrew

It would be nice if you would reply to the numerous emails I have sent you enquiring after the interface I ordered and paid for more than one month ago !!!

Email server is down and has been recently. sorry for any problems guys... everyone's orders, including yours are on their way. Anyone that needs to contact me, please either call me or send me a message through scubaboard for now. Thanks for understanding. All orders up to about the 10th of August have shipped or are about to within the next day or two.

they all will... as they always do. please understand that I've sold around 1200 of these. If I cheated people I wouldn't still be selling them. I've been selling them for two years now and I've only refunded a handful of orders, because I wanted to not because it was asked. If someone has a problem with waiting a week or two more than expected, all they have to do is ask for a refund. If it hasn't shipped out already, I'll gladly do so without question. My phone number is plastered everywhere so it shouldn't be hard to find.

It's all simply supply and demand ya know... When you save people from $50-$100 and what you offer works (and is made) just as good or better than anything else out there coupled with the fact that each one is built by hand by a single person, it is unreasonable to expect them not to often be backordered. Watch TV for a an hour and count how many products (made in factorys) advertised that ask that you allow 6 weeks or more for delivery. The volume of orders I receive is not constant or reliable so it's impossible for me to give anyone a definate turn around time because there are too many factors involved (90% of which are beyond my control). The "average" person gets their order in 2-4 weeks. If someone needs an interface by a specific date (and for a good reason), I do all I can to help them out. Our dive computers hold a lot of dives so a 2-4 week wait shouldn't be a problem for most people. I have had people wait until they had about 40 hours of dives on their computer and start losing dives expect me to ship out an interface the same day they buy it... I don't usually have much sympathy for those folks because they had plenty of opportunity to buy an interface 3 or 4 weeks before they ran into problems losing dive info.

The two people that said they hadn't gotten theirs yet are international orders so they most likely haven't arrived just yet (to answer your question). International orders are international orders... USPS global priority mail advertises 4-7 business days but that is rarely the case when you factor in each country's customs and mail handling system.

jamiei:
Anyone know of any legality issues with selling home-made PC interfaces for dive computers? I think its rediculous the prices the manufacturers are charging for the interfaces after we pay so much for the computers. If no one knows of any reason why I shouldn't, I am thinking of making them in my spare time for people if I can find enough interest. Anyone have any advice or opinions? I came to this because my lds wanted $175 for the interface for my Cobra. I made one that works perfectly for a few bucks in material and a little of my time. Any input will be appreciated.

Generally if you are not using any Suunto plans or designs then you should be allowed to market your product provided you do not use their "brand equity" to market your product.
If you choose to do this venture, I would recommend selling them on eBay. Someone was selling jobber cables for the Mosquito for 20US +S&H.

Personnally I paid good money for the compouter and don't mind paying a little extra to get the original connector. Heck, at least I know it is 100% compatible and will not damage the computer.

Good luck

I bought an interface on E-bay for $35 from Athens Home Solutions ( www.athenshomesolutions.com ) and it works great. I will probable purchase a Serial/USB adapter to make connection to the PC easier, but other than that I've been very pleased. I just downloaded the software from Suunto's website and started downloading.

ekiledjian,

that part of this thread is about 2 years old.... He's been in business for a while now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom