Tell me about the SP Mk2 R195

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW this bs is one reason I am leaning toward SP regs. I trust the owner of the shop I nirmally use but he doesn't service Oceanic. He is a SP dealer and services them, and since I have come to know him I trust him without question.

Just because you can't due to your inexperience and immature ability to see the difference, others can.

If we are talking about the same level of regs from a manufacturer that are tuned to their optimal performance the differences are almost undetectable.

What's this "we" nonsense? Who died and left you in charge???

Well If YOU do the research on flow rates of regs and valves it will become WE.
As for the performance of the regs I was talking about the dive industry or humans in general.

I didn't realize that I was left "in charge", kind of scary really, I definitely didn't sign up for the job nor do I want it. Thank you for letting me know about the mixup, I am going to write my letter of resignation and get all this taken care of.

And what facts are you basing this on? We have already determined that any reg out there can outflow the tank valve it is attached to, so airflow is a non issue. I would be willing to bet that you could not tell the difference in the way they both breath if your eyes were closed, and I would include any manufacturers top line regs. We have come to a point where "better performance" is more about splitting hairs than what any diver can detect. Why would the Deep6 be a better value? Both are good products.

the Deep6 is actually a better performing regulator. Improved case design, improved poppet in the second stage, better materials in all of the soft parts, and the first stage has some tweaks that make it a bit better performing, but the overall design is better. You can actually tell the difference between the Hog D1/D3 second stages and the Deep6 second stage, even when tuned properly. The poppet makes that much of a difference

Is it worth spending $250 more than that deal on the Hog D1's? No, but that doesn't mean that the D6 isn't a better regulator

By D1/D3 2nd stages do you mean the Classic/Zenith (respectively)?

Or are you comparing 1st stages?

By D1/D3 2nd stages do you mean the Classic/Zenith (respectively)?

Or are you comparing 1st stages?

I thought I referenced second stages for that, so yeah classic/zenith second stages, but the d3/deep6 first stages are basically identical except for the better soft parts used in the Deep6

Just clarifying the names. Technically the D1/D3 are 1st stages and Classic/Zenith are 2nd stages.

the Deep6 is actually a better performing regulator. Improved case design, improved poppet in the second stage, better materials in all of the soft parts, and the first stage has some tweaks that make it a bit better performing, but the overall design is better. You can actually tell the difference between the Hog D1/D3 second stages and the Deep6 second stage, even when tuned properly. The poppet makes that much of a difference

Is it worth spending $250 more than that deal on the Hog D1's? No, but that doesn't mean that the D6 isn't a better regulator

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll have to give a Deep6 reg a shot. Who knows maybe I will have matured enough to tell a difference.

BTW this bs is one reason I am leaning toward SP regs. I trust the owner of the shop I nirmally use but he doesn't service Oceanic. He is a SP dealer and services them, and since I have come to know him I trust him without question.

I suspect your shop is Lonestar, and if so, the owner is a good guy. I did a bit of DM volunteer work for them a few years back.

A nice thing about the simpler and/or older SP regs is that they are very easy to service and despite SP's restrictive parts policy, parts are available everywhere. I've been able to easily find parts for 30 year old regulators. There are so many thousands of MK2/5/10/20/25 and the more popular 2nd stages in use that it's impossible for SP to keep a lid on the parts market. Same thing for service manuals, specialized tools, etc...

I just got back from a week of cave diving with my MK10/D300/balanced adjustable set. The newest stage in the set is at least 20 years old, (probably older) and after a week of S drills with divers using atomics and apeks, I have zero interest in 'upgrading'. The truth is that most regs perform quite well if they are maintained and tuned correctly. Like some of my fellow DIYers, I have a hobby of working on them so I have a geeky interest in the minutia of performance and design. But for most divers, there's not much difference between any decent quality reg terms of in diving experience. I've shared air with truly excellent professional divers who are using very ordinary-performing regs and perfectly content doing so. There's just so much freaking hype around regulator sales.

If you want to try to get your 1st stage working, use your hoses, and just get a 2nd stage or two, send me a PM, I have a drawer-full. Maybe I can offer you some advice in self servicing if you want to go that route too.

If we are talking about the same level of regs from a manufacturer that are tuned to their optimal performance the differences are almost undetectable.

Very true if you are talking benign, shallow recreational diving. It may well take depth and stress to bring out the differences and make them quite detectable.

To be c!ear, with most high performance regs those differences will not show up until you go beyond recreational depths and work levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom