Tell me about the SP Mk2 R195

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect your shop is Lonestar, and if so, the owner is a good guy. I did a bit of DM volunteer work for them a few years back.

If you want to try to get your 1st stage working, use your hoses, and just get a 2nd stage or two, send me a PM, I have a drawer-full. Maybe I can offer you some advice in self servicing if you want to go that route too.

The shop I have been using that I like is Grapevine Scuba. CB is great, as is his wife and son.

Whether or not I use my first stage will depend on what the shop that sold it to me decides to do about the problem. I talked to the owner's wife this afternoon, and she will be talking to her husband about it. I have no idea if they will want to buy back everything, or nothing, so I have no idea what I am going to have to work with.
I have a line on a couple of good reg sets, so I won't have to snorkel for too long.

If I was going to be marooned on an island with a solar powered fill station and no abilibilty to service my reg, I'd go with the mk2. The ultimate rental reg would be an unbalanced piston made out of titanium. Hog once made a titanium unbalanced piston that would probably last a lifetime.
If you want to service your own reg, deep 6 is currently the most disruptive company in this regard. Good luck obtaining a hog service manual if you haven't taken the course. It's very difficult.
As far as deep6 value is concerned the first service is free and the part kit comes with the regs (including the diaphragm).

You cannot go wrong with the deal(s) Halocline has offered you. Top notch regulators, already serviced and tuned, for a better-than-fair price and an offer to mentor you on rebuilding them should they need it.

One can purchase SP kits on the Bay or aftermarket service parts from a variety of sources. I.g. vintagedoublehose.com or Northeast Scuba Supply.

And what facts are you basing this on? We have already determined that any reg out there can outflow the tank valve it is attached to, so airflow is a non issue. I would be willing to bet that you could not tell the difference in the way they both breath if your eyes were closed, and I would include any manufacturers top line regs. We have come to a point where "better performance" is more about splitting hairs than what any diver can detect. Why would the Deep6 be a better value? Both are good products.
it isn't that simple..

The second stage's ability to use the gas from the first stage factors in as well, just as the tank valve impacts how much gas the first can move, so the second to the first. The consistency of the pressure from the first to the second also really matters. That is all in the first stage design.

Plus... not every first stage out there can outperform the tank valve.

I thought I referenced second stages for that, so yeah classic/zenith second stages, but the d3/deep6 first stages are basically identical except for the better soft parts used in the Deep6
First stage the angle of HP ports is different, different diaphragm material, the HP poppet is teflon coated, different HP seat material, teflon O-ring used in the balance chamber, chrome then PVD versus chrome only.

Plus you get a hard case and service kits.

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll have to give a Deep6 reg a shot. Who knows maybe I will have matured enough to tell a difference.
I
If I was going to be marooned on an island with a solar powered fill station and no abilibilty to service my reg, I'd go with the mk2. The ultimate rental reg would be an unbalanced piston made out of titanium. Hog once made a titanium unbalanced piston that would probably last a lifetime.
If you want to service your own reg, deep 6 is currently the most disruptive company in this regard. Good luck obtaining a hog service manual if you haven't taken the course. It's very difficult.
As far as deep6 value is concerned the first service is free and the part kit comes with the regs (including the diaphragm).
umm...the Deep 6 service manual isn't written yet, and when it is it will be out there. Not planning on restricting it to just those that took the course.

That said, we strongly recommend proper training and mentoring.

First stage the angle of HP ports is different, different diaphragm material, the HP poppet is teflon coated, different HP seat material, teflon O-ring used in the balance chamber, chrome then PVD versus chrome only.

thanks for elaborating. I didn't know the full extent of what was different in there, just new the soft parts were all better

Can you explain what is so different and unique about your second stage please?

Plus... not every first stage out there can outperform the tank valve.

In terms of flow rates, I believe that first stages are typically measured with all the LP ports open and a constant high volume supply pressure. I think it would be hard to find a 1st stage that could not flow more than a tank valve given those measurement parameters.

I agree that the consistency of IP is a much better indication of a 1st stage's performance, particularly the amount of IP drop under a given demand.

For 2nd stages, I think it's a little more subjective. To me the feel of the reg is more important than WOB numbers. A perfect example is the D series; WOB numbers are not particularly impressive, but those have a very natural feel and are excellent with position changes. It really does come down to what an individual diver enjoys diving with.

I certainly appreciate your approach to service on these regulators! Many of us DIYers have found our sources for SP parts and service materials, but unfortunately it's in spite of the company's efforts.

I may someday want to service my own tegs. That makes HOG tegs really appealing.
I figure if I can change the triggers, sears, etc. on my 1011s and Ruger MkII competition pistols I should be able to rebuild my regs.

Tbone, I have not decided one way or the other between used or new, SP or HOG. I do think if I buy new that desl on the HOG teg set looks really good.
One other option I have is buying just the regs. My hoses and console and gauges are all good.

The whole thing of servicing your own regs is you will need tools , parts and documentations.

And yes, fitting the trigger group on a 1911 is harder than servicing regs. Most regs are like working on a Glock. Simple cleaning, parts swap and adjustment.

I used to do service for a local shop. I have my own tools and documents. I only use Scubapro and Atomic to simplify my logistics. I have a dozen sets of regs, I collect them for fun.

It makes sense for me to service my own.

If I only had one set, I would either let somebody reputable service them or I would send them back to the manufacturer for service. It would not be worth the hassle for that amount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom