Tank Inspector cert w/o renewal requirement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

true, but point is, we have many cans of worms to deal with...
Right. And OSHA (29 CFR 1910.120) standards are related to Hazardous Waste Operations, (HAZWOPR) or HAZCOM (1910.1200) hazardous communications, where fill station operator training comes into play. In fact, if you read the PSI syllabus online, the FSO course is specific to meet OSHA requirements, but HAZMAT is specifically a Department of Transportation term, and the PSI HAZMAT course is designed to meet both OSHA and DOT requirements to fill cylinders for transportation, and transport them.

This is a common mistake, and many training organizations are happy to keep the lines between OSHA and DOT and CGA and EPA and other agencies blurred, because if you don't know the specific requirements you're trying to follow, you'll buy all kinds of courses to make sure you are meeting the requirements. It's not too hard to keep it straight, though. OSHA regulates the workplace. That means that if you are filling cylinders, you are subject to OSHA. DOT regulates what goes on the highway, so if you are transporting something, DOT provides the guidance. DOT and CGA regulate shipping containers, CGA specifically compressed gas shipping containers, they don't care about drums or overpack bins. CGA is an NGO, but their regulations have force of law. EPA only gets involved if you have a spill, like if your truck crashes going down the road.

I think you're unknowingly causing confusion with your wording. "Hazmat" is a term specific to DOT-regulated shipments, and it has a meaning that's deeper than just being an abbreviation for 'hazardous'. An empty tank is still hazmat, because that's the proper DOT definition for an empty or full compressed gas cylinder. You're correct that it's not hazardous as far as the fill station is concerned.

The purpose of the weight limit is to mark a point where there is enough hazardous material in a transport vehicle (truck, container, railcar, etc) that a warning needs to be made clearly visible via placards in case of emergency or unexpected outbreaks of stupidity. For almost all hazardous materials, that limit is 1000 pounds. Quantities of 1000 pounds or less are still hazmat, as Frank mentioned above, but placards need not be displayed.

Now, what does that have to do with a shop's fill station? Nothing, as you aren't transporting the tanks. What about your personal tanks in your vehicle? Again, nothing, you're not engaged in commerce.
I AGREE WITH YOU . The earlier conversation was related to the shop and not transporters. The discussion also related to the handling control of hazardous materials by fill shops. My comments were in line with that limitation. Yes there are other hazards related to shipping and surely because of he weight involved. fill stations do not do that however.

....but, anything greater than 29 psi (IIRC, a number I said above) is considered a hazard, per CFR, hence OSHA, and employees must be trained... that is where a fill station comes into play... better never take money for a fill....
Above 29 PSI???
So, where do I bring my car tires / bicycle tires / motorcycle tires / pump up foghorn can, compressed air can to blow out camera / can of whipped cream / high presdure boss / ... then for their annual VIS?
:)

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Does anyone recall the date when the old SDI VIP Inspector course went from non-renewal requirement to every 3 years? Are those of us that took the "non-expiring" course grandfathered in or what?

I've taken the PSI-PCI renewal 3x times and the SDI course once. At this point since I am not longer working for a dive shop I don't really plan on renewing but I was just curious.

Sorry for bumping an old thread. Does anyone recall the date when the old SDI VIP Inspector course went from non-renewal requirement to every 3 years? Are those of us that took the "non-expiring" course grandfathered in or what?

I've taken the PSI-PCI renewal 3x times and the SDI course once. At this point since I am not longer working for a dive shop I don't really plan on renewing but I was just curious.
Per the DOT inspector I last dealt with, a "lifetime" certification cannot be changed into an expiring certification retroactively. Not a lawyer so this is strictly hersey, but from someone who hopefully knows the law.

I would think it falls under contract law, such as a contract can't be unilaterally amended by one party just because... But once again, I'm not a lawyer.

As a funny aside, it also comes down to the definitionof lifetime. I used to work in a sporting goods store where a customer returned a very old, well-used Coleman tent for work under the "lifetime warranty."

Coleman apologized but said they could not repair the tent -- the warranty applied to the lifetime of the tent and it was over. Lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom