Tank Inspector cert w/o renewal requirement.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are there still tank inspector classes offered that yield a certification w/o a requirement to do a renewal class every 2 or 3 years?
Which?
What to think of them?

@abnfrog just certified me w/ that program (new) this past weekend. It is a new class. See if he will explain....

I see the need for recurrent training, myself. Things change. Wrapped tanks, evolving recommendations, star ratings (only for storage bottles so far), 3AL overstamps, and such, "happen," as do infrequent advances in inspection techniques and tools. Plus, being reminded of things and seeing previously unseen good and bad tanks (the instructor seems to have an endless supply of marginal, bad, and good tanks) helps when I do inspections for the local dive club.

One thing that stays with me is that most tanks fail when filled. As the owner of a personal fill station I have a strong interest in not having one fail, and relatively low interest in buying a containment unit unless one falls into my lap on the cheap.

the old non expiring vip class no longer is taught ... its now a 3 year ..we still don't know how the recert will work ..the old course was for scuba and scba the new one covers most hi pressure cylinders

Thanks to all for your input!
This need for re-cert is food for thought for someone who just wants to his own VIS but does not really need to (not enough tanks - yet).
@abnfrog: Yeah, TCI confirmed in a separate inquiry to their web site contact that VIP it is now a 3 year recert. cycle. What I also asked but could not get an answer on yet is how the recert works and what it might cost. So, I think you are right: "We do not yet know how it works".

They publish a price on the initial cert. (this link that tursiops previously posted: International Training VIP Inspector | SDI | TDI | ERDI ) ... but it is unclear to me yet if that's for the e-learning part only or the whole thing including the hands on part (also asked that, no reply yet to that). Actually by that description, I am not entirely sure if there is a hands on part or just a questions review of sort...

Also interesting to me is that a VIP cert from a part of the world - let's say Europe for example seems to be technically / theoretically valid elsewhere where regulations (and tanks) are different, even so those differing regulations were not addressed during the cert. class ... Just a whole different maybe not fully baked yet thing this from your regular dive certs...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom